Jestersix

Tank spawned torch babies

Might you be able to run a dedicated small pump from the sump so it is its own unit but with shared water?
it is how i run my multi tank systems…each box has its own pump
Thanks exactly how it's set up... but, I turn the valve down to balance out the noise and flow since it's right next to my deck...which is terrible for meetings and calls. But because of the flow restrictions, sometimes the line clogs or maybe get too much back pressure to make an impact on the water turnover.

Thanks exactly how it's set up... but, I turn the valve down to balance out the noise and flow since it's right next to my deck...which is terrible for meetings and calls. But because of the flow restrictions, sometimes the line clogs or maybe get too much back pressure to make an impact on the water turnover.
If you have a “u” in the line...it’s not a straight shot
The u will cause a gurgling and more importantly....a home for bristleworms!

My last remaining baby growing up...

Developing some green along with the gold and purple...

20220706_014826.jpg

So how many baby you have left only 1? Did the spawn again? I wonder how often, and when they do the spawming.
I had 18 babies to start... asterinas ate a bunch, then had some tank issues and some BJD that took out everything by 3.

Lost 1 to API General cure. then I crushed one accidentally thinking it was a vermetid at 3A in ambient room light while transporting it to another tank... (DOH).

So, now left with one.

My tank had spawned 3 times I think in total... but with the issues above, I didn't get any to stick.

Bummer. Can you remind me again when the spawning events were? THanks
off the top of my head..

The first spawn was beginning of Aug last year
2nd spawn was end of Oct
And 3rd was around maybe early-March? (though on this last one, I did not really witness it taking place but saw tell tale signs similar to first 2 times...)

Gotcha Thanks. It will be very interesting if they go again this year. Please keep us posted!
Unfortunately I lost my HG and the green torch so perhaps might be a bit challenged for awhile. Of the bunch, my guess is the HG was the female while the others were/are male.

Slowly starting to rebuild the collection to hopefully see if I can get some consistent spawning.

Right now, my current distraction is growing scoly babies. Though not formed from a spawning event, been interesting to watch the behavior of new cloned babies form and grow so far. The annoying thing is I keep losing track of them... when they reach about 1mm or 2, they start detaching from the skeleton. And at the size nearly impossible to find again once they float off.

Even just tonight, i caught a jumper. Repositioned it onto a divet of a rubble in a breeder box... and within an hour, it was gone. Grrr....

Unfortunately I lost my HG and the green torch so perhaps might be a bit challenged for awhile. Of the bunch, my guess is the HG was the female while the others were/are male.

Slowly starting to rebuild the collection to hopefully see if I can get some consistent spawning.

Right now, my current distraction is growing scoly babies. Though not formed from a spawning event, been interesting to watch the behavior of new cloned babies form and grow so far. The annoying thing is I keep losing track of them... when they reach about 1mm or 2, they start detaching from the skeleton. And at the size nearly impossible to find again once they float off.

Even just tonight, i caught a jumper. Repositioned it onto a divet of a rubble in a breeder box... and within an hour, it was gone. Grrr....
Did you watch this presentation yet? Really interesting stuff

Not yet but need too! I was working on trying to tank spawn scolies too before my crash and lost them all... need to restart at some point.
I think almost-crashing the system (ie stress) is one of the key triggers, at least for some species. I hope you don’t take this as a negative comment, but because you have so many tanks and they aren’t kept under “perfect” parameters and monitoring, it sets you up for success in accidentally having spawning events.

Perfect parameters and they just keep doing their thing. Dangerously-off parameters but still survivable and they spawn or polyp-bailout as a last ditch attempt to have their genes survive elsewhere. Not survivable and they just die.

The hard part and the cool part would be to figure out which stressors trigger spawning and how to optimize it.

I think almost-crashing the system (ie stress) is one of the key triggers, at least for some species. I hope you don’t take this as a negative comment, but because you have so many tanks and they aren’t kept under “perfect” parameters and monitoring, it sets you up for success in accidentally having spawning events.

Perfect parameters and they just keep doing their thing. Dangerously-off parameters but still survivable and they spawn or polyp-bailout as a last ditch attempt to have their genes survive elsewhere. Not survivable and they just die.

The hard part and the cool part would be to figure out which stressors trigger spawning and how to optimize it.
I think that's possible... stress does cause certain coral and nems to split and multiply. Though, ideal conditions can also cause them to spawn.

Both can be true... In the case of the torches there were several factors that I have noted that might have lead to the initial spawning. None of them were true stressors per se. But, until I test them out to reproduce, I am reluctant to discuss since I don't want to turn it into a broader attempt by others for unproven theories.

Back