got ethical husbandry?

Green mantis shrimp

Green Mantis Shrimp, Gonodactylellus viridis fairly cryptic, but cool. Smasher mantis. Doesn't bother corals but the same can't be said of other reef inhabitants. Located in San Mateo,

mantis.jpg

Hmm. I had a live rock hitchhiker red mantis for awhile when I set up a tank. It was awesome and entertaining but I do not currently have a setup ready. Do you have it isolated? Does it come out or stay hidden unless being fed?

Yes, isolated. Like I said it's quite cryptic. I would see him every now and then poking his head out of caves. Rarely would I see him fully out of the cave walking around.

I could set up a 20g long tank with sand and a rocky hideout (and PVC?) for this guy but would need to cycle it and refresh myself on what his needs are. I thought he needed a big tank but maybe I'm mistaken. I once had a mantis shrimp in a glass tank and he never smashed it. I am not sure how often he needs to eat and could not feed him weekends and parts of school breaks. Has anyone already expressed interest?

I was holding off responding to let @MolaMola have first chance at this guy, but if it doesn’t work out for her, I’d be happy to home it. I had a little mantis (haptosquilla glyptocercis) for a couple of years, and really liked it. I work in south San Francisco, so it’s pretty convenient for me to come by.

Last edited:
I was holding off responding to let @MolaMola have first chance at this guy, but if it doesn’t work out for her, I’d be happy to home it. I had a little mantis (haptosquilla glyptocercis) for a couple of years, and really liked it. I work in south San Francisco, so it’s pretty convenient for me to come by.
My plate is overflowing right now and while it was exciting to get down a tank to start prepping for a mantis shrimp, I think I feel relieved you will give it a good home!

Mantis! Very cool! Made me go look up some of my old photos on reefcentral. I kept one for a year and had a 2nd pico tank where i housed snails and crabs to feed it from. Could not find picks of the shrimp but i think it was a Smith's mantis (clubber).

1663971542691.png

1663971801325.png

Back