Welcome to BAR - the Bay Area's premier saltwater hobbyists hub!

rygh's latest activity

  • rygh
    A big thing people are ignoring is pollution. Big tangs eat a lot of food, and have a fairly inefficient digestive system. While they...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread What kind of Algae is this?.
    The only brown crud I know of is Cyano (somewhat redish) and Diatoms. Both can be removed fairly easily, at least most of it. So not...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread What kind of Algae is this?.
    You need a close up with a flash. Can't see anything. Look online for pictures as well, to see what matches. Brown fuzzy algae is...
  • rygh
    rygh reacted to magnetar68's post in the thread Tokoriki, Fiji Snorkeling Video with Like Like.
    The reef here in this part of Fiji seems pretty healthy. At about 1:20, you can see the crown of thorns sea star munching on what I...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Automatic Water Testers.
    I tend to agree with those numbers. Corals do better with nutrients, but you need to limit P to keep nuisance algae down.
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Automatic Water Testers.
    Some history: Most experience is on my 240G tank, with both a lot of big fish and a lot of SPS. Difficult combination! Salt water...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Automatic Water Testers.
    The downside to auto-water exchange is the need for space. Although these water testers take space also. Especially the reef-bot. You...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Wish fish list.
    Suggest you look into "Tank transfer method." I switched to that after using a QT. Use buckets. New bucket every day for 2 weeks. Tank...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Automatic Water Testers.
    Apex Dos pumps. I used them before on the large tank. They are quite well matched. I have a 50G mixing garbage barrel, and a 100G SW...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Automatic Water Testers.
    I had the reefbot a long time ago. First revision. It worked pretty well for a couple of years, then died. Nice that it tested a lot of...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Wish fish list.
    Not so uncommon, but I had good luck with: Bicolor Angel Swallowtail Angel Coral Beauty (lived a LONG time) Cuban Hogfish Harlequin...
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Free rock formations (GONE).
    Smallest is 6", tallest is 17". Yes, dry. They have been out of the tank for a while.
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Free rock formations (GONE).
    UPDATE: These are the rocks left / not spoken for.
    • rock4.webp
  • rygh
    rygh replied to the thread Free rock formations (GONE).
    To be clear, I mean good two part west system epoxy, like used for boats. Not the crud you get at the fish store.
  • rygh
    rygh reacted to Alexander1312's post in the thread Free rock formations (GONE) with Like Like.
    I would like to take the yellow/orange colored one with the paddle and the two dog shape formations on the right.
Top