Neptune Aquatics

Split cost for calcium chloride

Team,
Would anyone like to split the cost of a 50lbs bag of peladow? For those not aware you mix this with rodi to make your own calcium chloride.

One 50# bag of peladow when mixed with rodi will make 40 gallons of calcium chloride!

Randy
BC07DD22-6053-4ED5-9ED3-9EF5416C8DC1.jpeg

Last edited:
Mike,
Im working on that right now. 50# should be under 25.00 but the shipping is insane! I am trying to find a place in California that I can source it from. Being we’re not a snow state and it’s out season this is challenging.

Amazon wants a ridiculous 69.00 for it!

Another option... brs sells a pharmaceutical grade 35# for $109.24 free shipping + tax.

so that would make 28 gallons when mixed with rodi. Cost 3.54 a gallon after mixing

You can figure out how much of this you would need to raise the calcium level in your tank here :

For my scenario I’d have over 2,544 doses of the stuff. Way to much for me.

so a direct split would be 55.00.

Fritz is charging 30.00 for 4# and your getting 35# for 109.24 Great deal.

I would not use road deicer as a calcium supplement, that was something that was done way back when in the hobby when there was no calcium chloride on the market. There just are too many impurities that can potentially go in it. Yes it's cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not worth the cost savings. Seriously, calculate how much 2 part you would add to your tank, and then how much raw calcium chloride you need to make that amount, you'll probably find that the cost difference is like 1.5 cents versus 6 cents per day, and is that really what you want to do with cost savings?

I would not use road deicer as a calcium supplement, that was something that was done way back when in the hobby when there was no calcium chloride on the market. There just are too many impurities that can potentially go in it. Yes it's cheap, but in the grand scheme of things it's really not worth the cost savings. Seriously, calculate how much 2 part you would add to your tank, and then how much raw calcium chloride you need to make that amount, you'll probably find that the cost difference is like 1.5 cents versus 6 cents per day, and is that really what you want to do with cost savings?

please see the updated thread where i put the pharma grade brs calcium chloride. Your welcome to get in on the action. I couldn’t possibly use that much in a year.

I'm good thanks, I bought a 35lbs bucket of Fritz sometime last year, it was a a bit cheaper than the BRS stuff at the time, but BRS was having major shortages and was only selling 1 gallon bags worth of it, so I did plan-b.

So it’s liquid ? Is there a guaranteed analysis paper for this? I’m not about to put anything in my tank unless I know exactly what is in it.

No Leslie's Pool "Hardness Plus" is calcium chloride just like the any of the other versions, it probably is a bit better quality than road deicer because people swim in it, but probably not food grade. I stopped using it when I saw a dark residue when I mixed it, figured the cost savings wasn't worth it. Now that also bought a 35 lbs bucket of the stuff, still mostly untouched too :D

I got the 5 gallon buckets from BRS of each of the 2 part powders in Sunnyvale, if anyone needs a little to get them through for a bit. I would also be willing to split costs on the 5 gallon buckets moving forward if anyone else wants to get the powders but doesn't want to keep the buckets around. High capacity GFO, ROX carbon, and mag are the others I buy in bulk from BRS. Not the cheapest, but you know they are pure.

No Leslie's Pool "Hardness Plus" is calcium chloride just like the any of the other versions, it probably is a bit better quality than road deicer because people swim in it, but probably not food grade. I stopped using it when I saw a dark residue when I mixed it, figured the cost savings wasn't worth it. Now that also bought a 35 lbs bucket of the stuff, still mostly untouched too :D

it doesn’t matter what it’s intended use is. I doubt that Leslie’s pools actually makes the chemical. Dow makes for a lot of these manufacturers. All that really matters is the piece of paper that shows you exactly what is on it.

Did you know that the equestrian industry and also cement industry also use calcium chloride. It isn’t like it’s a one trick pony.

I trust what Randy Holmes-Farley says when he investigated the composition of said chemicals.

Back