Cali Kid Corals

Innovative marine 170 EXT

Reefer Madness

Supporting Member
First time making a post but looking for advice on lighting for this tank. I have some ideas of what I would like but would definitely wouldn't hurt having more ideas or insight on what would work best. This is the size for reference.

1000007527.jpg

What are your plans with the tank? Lighting depends on what you want to grow. I'm an Radion fan boy so that's my answer. As many xr30s as you can fit.
Seconding this. IIRC my tank (Nuvo 200) is the same height and depth as yours, just 72" vs 59". I have 4x G6 XR30s over it. Granted, it's probably slightly overkill because I'm doing a mixed reef, but wouldn't be if it was SPS dominant.

Also as a heads up - whatever light you choose, check out the recommended + maximum light spread. I ended up opting for G6 XR30s instead of G5 because G5 was 24" x 24" recommended, while G6 was 30"x 30" recommended.

Alternately, I'd suggest checking out ReeFi lights as well as Kessil (AP9x or a360x for mixed, A500x for SPS focused).

It's going to be a mixed reef tank. That seems to be the general answer around here is radion.
Honestly, if at all possible, I'd suggest checking out tanks running different lights.

I'm a sucker for the Radion colors. Kessil has a great shimmer. There's little differences that may be big ones depending on your aesthetic.

I too like Radions, specifically gen 4s. However, Quanta is releasing new lights. I’ve talked with Luca, the producer of the lights and they sound promising in competing with Reefi Unos and crushing radions in cost for fixture and $/par. At which point Reefi uno 2.0 are box fixtures and quanta is a bar style light. I’m planning out a new tank in the very near future and I’ll likely be going with the Quanta’s. You definitely can’t go wrong with Radions IMO if you’re looking for a “brand name” light though.

I have 7 Reefi Uno 2.0 - pretty awesome light. They are about 50% cheaper than XR30s, put out more PAR, and have a similar aesthetic. The owner is a reefer in Seattle and is very responsive and always working on improving the product. Various pics in my tank journal if you are interested.

The biggest advantage (other than cost) over the Radions is the lack of head-splitting side glare. Reefi lights use recessed reflectors and you can mount the lights pretty high without getting blinded. Big bonus for some of us, not a big deal at all for others. But worth pointing out!

Seconding this. IIRC my tank (Nuvo 200) is the same height and depth as yours, just 72" vs 59". I have 4x G6 XR30s over it. Granted, it's probably slightly overkill because I'm doing a mixed reef, but wouldn't be if it was SPS dominant.

Also as a heads up - whatever light you choose, check out the recommended + maximum light spread. I ended up opting for G6 XR30s instead of G5 because G5 was 24" x 24" recommended, while G6 was 30"x 30" recommended.

Alternately, I'd suggest checking out ReeFi lights as well as Kessil (AP9x or a360x for mixed, A500x for SPS

Yeah it is the speed that I worried about. I was looking at ATI and Dalua.

Second the Reefis for the stated reasons. I currently have two [2] over my IM 150 EXT, but will eventually need a third. Not yet though as PAR is more than enough. Their only downside is they sound too good to be true, but they are, good without any downside really.

You’re gonna have to run an extra bar light. If you want coverage on the front and back. Or off set your lights forward a hair. 30” is pushing it with any light. IMO.

Back