Our mission

120x36x36 build

Tim Obert

Supporting Member
All right, I want to start a little thread for this build Mike and I are working on. Daniel Pon helped us get a 10’ by 3’ by 3’ tank for the distillery that will be in between the dining room and the bottle shop.

We are going to transfer everything from the current 150 gal 3x3 cube and start building the monster out.

Originally I wanted to make the tank the width of the column but Mike thought it would be too narrow and deep and suggested we make it wider, 3’x3’ to be more badass.

Lighting:
I’m making a Light Rail to hang across the full gap from column to the wall. We are taking an 18’ piece of uninstrut and are painting it black and anchoring it to each wall with a unistrut bracket. I’m putting a lampshade drop stem that’s connecting to the top with NPT and running to an NPT adapter for the Kessil AP700s. We have four to start but are leaving room for up to 6 with some bonus spot lights.

Prep work:
I’m setting up a 270 gallon tote connected to RO water and will use it as our mixing station. We are going to use that for part of the first fill and Mike is bringing his van to fill most of the rest.

Next steps:
The tank is arriving on the 27th. We are hopefully getting the sump on the 25th and will be ready to rock on Monday. Will be unloading it with a fork and they recommended form extensions just to get it off!

More coming soon!

Prep work:
I’m setting up a 270 gallon tote connected to RO water and will use it as our mixing station. We are going to use that for part of the first fill and Mike is bringing his van to fill most of the rest.

You guys should call Bob for your first fill. That's a lot of water and it's pretty nice to have it delivered. Really good price too. If you need his number message me.

I have painted unstrut behind my tank to mount my kessil 360's, and they are now rusting quite a bit (after 6 years). you might want to think about powercoating them. Mine are only getting salt spray from the sump; I would think having them mounted over the tank they will get a lot more salt exposure....but who knows.

Sounds like a great build. Looking forward to seeing it.

I have painted unstrut behind my tank to mount my kessil 360's, and they are now rusting quite a bit (after 6 years). you might want to think about powercoating them. Mine are only getting salt spray from the sump; I would think having them mounted over the tank they will get a lot more salt exposure....but who knows.

Use 316 stainless steel unistut no need to powder coat

Awesome size! Reef or FO? Be nice for angels and tangs with the 10'!
The AP700 will be fine for the 36" depth but you will need more to overlap the coverages. 6 sounds about right.

E27DF213-3FA1-433F-AEDA-C7E6212DD033.jpeg
Got some light posts with NPT threading and brackets for the kessils to mount to the unistrut

Good call

Back