High Tide Aquatics

30G or 40G sump for a 125g display?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I'm considering either a 30G (Trigger plat 34) or a 40G sump (Trigger plat 39) for the ELOS 120XL (125G display).

Both of the sumps will fit everything I need, but I'll have a little extra breathing room with the 39. Cabinet space isn't too different.

Is it beneficial to have the larger sump even though I don't necessarily need the space?

Tbh, I’m not a fan of either of those sumps. I find them too narrow. If this is going to be your “dream tank” I’d recommend going custom with a Advanced Acrylics pvc/acrylic sump. Maybe meet in the middle and get a 36.5” sump. Build quality is like a piece of art. They can build it to accommodate any type of equipment you plan on adding. The more room the better. They have a long lead time but luckily you are still a over a year out.

Larger is better IMHO in terms of parameter stability. I am reusing the Lifereef sump & refugium (roughly 30g capacity at normal volume) from my 69g build for the 112g build because it's still worthwhile for that size tank. Larger would still be better even if you don't need the space.

Tbh, I’m not a fan of either of those sumps. I find them too narrow. If this is going to be your “dream tank” I’d recommend going custom with a Advanced Acrylics pvc/acrylic sump. Maybe meet in the middle and get a 36.5” sump. Build quality is like a piece of art. They can build it to accommodate any type of equipment you plan on adding. The more room the better. They have a long lead time but luckily you are still a over a year out.
I'll check them out.

The thing I like about the Trigger System is the built in fleece roller. Because it's built in, it is really wide yet takes up a very small amount of space. It also has nice float valves that are adjustable and all that. But I guess I could always build a custom one for a clarisea or reefmat.

I don't mind the narrowness, but I've never really had such a big sump so I wouldn't know better. The Trigger 39 will fit everything and more just fine.

But you're right... having a beautiful work of art sump is definitely compelling.

Back