Cali Kid Corals

$4 for a “50w” UVA (395nm) light panel???

tribbitt

Supporting Member
Found this hilarious listing on Aliexpress for a 50w and 100w ($4 and 8 respectively), UVA light panel, for the purpose of illuminating fluorescent things in theater, clubs and whatnot.

Could this be actually decent for making corals fluoresce? Unlikely to be useful for adding PAR, because only some of the light trails into violet, but it could make fluorescent proteins go crazy.

Even if it requires a mod like a diffuser plate, might it be worth a shot? Replace a Coral Glow blade for $4 :p

1723240415150.png

They most likely are not 50w/100w, but rather “equivalent” of non-LED lights and are maybe more like 5w/10w. Second, UV isn’t really optimal for coral pop, you want more like actinic with maybe a little UV. And if they are actually UV and of that strength, it would be potentially dangerous to have on in your house long term assuming you have corneas and skin around.

They most likely are not 50w/100w, but rather “equivalent” of non-LED lights and are maybe more like 5w/10w. Second, UV isn’t really optimal for coral pop, you want more like actinic with maybe a little UV. And if they are actually UV and of that strength, it would be potentially dangerous to have on in your house long term assuming you have corneas and skin around.

I think UVA isn't thaaat bad for you - it's just, more violet than violet. It would be terrifying to get a tan from your lighting though. Might be interesting to plug it into a power consumption measuring device.

Aren't a lot of the coral flashlights on the market at least partially UV?

I think UVA isn't thaaat bad for you - it's just, more violet than violet. It would be terrifying to get a tan from your lighting though. Might be interesting to plug it into a power consumption measuring device.

Aren't a lot of the coral flashlights on the market at least partially UV?
Coral flashlights are actinic (about 420 nm) with maybe a little UV (<400 nm). UV flashlights are more common but don’t work nearly as well for observing corals.

I see. I've just heard about UV flashlight for corals, that's why I thought it might make coloration pop. Good to know :)

Back