High Tide Aquatics

60 Gal Cube Restart

Rainforf's are cool! I received one from Biota last Friday... hoping it comes out and shows itself off soon. I have not seen it since dropping it in the tank but it came in at about an 1" and has a lot of rock holes it could be hiding in.

Your rock work looks full of nice holes and swim-throughs.
What do you have him eating?

Few tank shots after moving some frags over. Left light in it’s weird color so excuse the weird tint. Rocks are still very rock colored :-( Added 2 encrusting months, 3 Acans, Clove Polyp, Duncan, Chalice, 6 zoos and a struggling Goni. Nothing is in its final resting place, just in there acclimating.

Attachments

• 59319D4A-2CEC-4B6B-97D6-068641504369.jpeg
    59319D4A-2CEC-4B6B-97D6-068641504369.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 102
  • A4F84FBB-864A-4732-AB1A-96BF55AF6AE3.jpeg
    A4F84FBB-864A-4732-AB1A-96BF55AF6AE3.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 107
  • 4047403F-2C9A-4BFC-BC10-BEE6886352EE.jpeg
    4047403F-2C9A-4BFC-BC10-BEE6886352EE.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Snapped the torch in blue light last night. It’s more peach then orange but it’s kinda close.

8C950026-31AE-4008-9BC0-E6A119819F46.jpeg

It's called a CC 21 Tails Torch if that means anything to anyone. Don't see that name flying around so it is probably something else to other people too.

Last edited:
Tank got a bit hot last week. I don't have my fan variable speed control set up yet, need to wrap that up.
screen-shot-2022-06-13-at-4-43-02-pm-png.39332

PH actually stabilized with the added frags. I was getting dips in the day from the lack of anything in the tank and me in the room.
Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 4.41.41 PM.png

Had to adjust my Kalk. Alk trend line went slightly negative post adding frags, so bumped it up a tad. Have to watch the PH though, so just made a small adjustment of about 50ml/day. I think the Apex is reading a bit high as the ReefKeeper probe is .1 lower. Not sure which is closer as they both read 7 on the calibration juice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 4.43.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 4.43.02 PM.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I seeded my tank with some Pods from reef nutrition and dose phyto everyday per their recommendations. What did you do to see them explode. Your system looks pretty sweet. Keep up the Apex graphing. Very cools.

I seeded my tank with some Pods from reef nutrition and dose phyto everyday per their recommendations. What did you do to see them explode. Your system looks pretty sweet. Keep up the Apex graphing. Very cools.
Added pods of multiple sources/types and dosed phyto with no fish in the tank to eat them all as they multiplied

Last edited:
Got the Dottie and Blenny out of QT and am breaking down that small thank to clean. Hoping to not need it for a while as the tank is well stocked with fish now. Really only plan to add a small goby. Funny that by adding the Dottie and Blenny all the fish started acting normal. Clowns were just hovering in the corner waiting for food, not even chasing it down and Tang was hidden behind the rocks. Now everyone is out doing their normal behaviors. Tang started grazing rocks, eating Nori off clip and not hiding. Clowns swim everywhere claiming their space vs. the Dottie, etc.

Skimmer is almost producing now with more load. Could not fit the smaller skimmer I repaired in the skimmer compartment so stuck with this one for now, which kinda sucks, especially since I don’t even have macro in the fuge. The little macro I had down there withered or got consumed by pods and snails. Parameters are all fine though.

CUC did their job except the sand bed. Still have some extra. Diatoms are showing well in the sand but don’t care. Have a conc in the QT that hopefully has enough to eat so I can move it over.

Ended up connecting a Trident. After comparing the cost of ways to measure Alk and using the ABC reagents and custom time schedules, the trident cost and size started to make sense compared to the other testers out there. The small size more then cost. Ca/Mg are just free extras to me that I could run empty if am so inclined.

Corals are all looking good. Had one zoo frag melt but it never looked well and was a cheap $9 one. Noticed a bunch white dots appear in the QT tank that I need to ID.
0FB82463-9BC0-4340-9D80-171DD79C4768.jpeg
2AC8FEC4-5DB3-4FD1-A066-8D1AC81F752C.jpeg

Stomalla snail babies? Will get a better look later when home.

Last edited:
Just for you.

Alk-PH-Kalk.jpg

Got roughly 36 hours data for the Trident though it needs a few days to settle down per the manual. Orange is Trident-Alk (scale left), Blue is PH (Scale Right) and Green is Kalk Doser. Alk is reading .7 low compared to my Hanna graph, but is also not calibrated yet, so ignore the actual values. Ca/Mg no usable trends.

Pretty expected results so far. PH/Alk go up when dosing with a little lag.
Changed Kalk dose pump to a regular interval 24/7 (vs night) to reset to a better Baseline. reevaluate the day/night swing and minimize some variables while getting everything sorted. Also bumped my Ph limit and alarm up .5 as the trend is rising.

Last edited:
Just for you.

View attachment 39771
Got roughly 36 hours data for the Trident though it needs a few days to settle down per the manual. Orange is Trident-Alk (scale left), Blue is PH (Scale Right) and Green is Kalk Doser. Alk is reading .7 low compared to my Hanna graph, but is also not calibrated yet, so ignore the actual values. Ca/Mg no usable trends.

Pretty expected results so far. PH/Alk go up when dosing with a little lag.
Changed Kalk dose pump to a regular interval 24/7 (vs night) to reset to a better Baseline. reevaluate the day/night swing and minimize some variables while getting everything sorted. Also bumped my Ph limit and alarm up .5 as the trend is rising.
This is very cool. Although, Michael convinced me out of a controller. Maybe at the 2 year mark. Wicked cool though. Following.

This is very cool. Although, Michael convinced me out of a controller. Maybe at the 2 year mark. Wicked cool though. Following.
He just wants to sell you his old Apex, lol. jk.
You just asked for graphs and I like graphs. Here is another one.
TridentAlkCalibtation.jpg

Calibrated the Trident last night. Calibration did not bring the 7.8 alk up to the 8.4 alk reading to align with the Hanna checker, it went the other way to 7.4s. That is a 1 dkh difference. Off to get a Salfer kit to verify which is off. Hanna vs Trident/Trident Calibration Fluid. I'll verify variance in Ca/Mg as well while I am at it. Anyone want to place bets on which one is off? I am pretty sure I know, but need to validate.

Did Salifert test, and the Hanna is off. It’s really old, so makes sense. Reagents are new, so it’s the Meter. Should have validated - but needed excuse to burn 700 bucks.

Anyone want the rest of my Reagent? It’s new.

If I got a new controller I would imagine that I would start upgrading my whole system. Unfortunately, the current barrier is the cost. I would rather put the money into stocking my tank now and get it growing even though investing early on in one and stability may be a better option. Either way, the graphs are very enjoyable to look at. Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the tank in person next time. I'm sure its going to come along great!

Back