Our mission

65 gallon tank

For comparison, my 29g I feed pellets/spirulina 2x daily and it gets about a cube and a half of mysis. But also an oversized skimmer.

Remember you're 2x the volume now vs. the biocube with a proper skimmer and probably a hungry population of micro inverts. Likely will take more to keep nutrients up.

For comparison, my 29g I feed pellets/spirulina 2x daily and it gets about a cube and a half of mysis. But also an oversized skimmer.

Remember you're 2x the volume now vs. the biocube with a proper skimmer and probably a hungry population of micro inverts. Likely will take more to keep nutrients up.
Very fair point, I never considered. Not to mention the 15 gallon sump so around 75- 80 gallons of water.

20240921_093149.jpg

How all the hammers were looking before reef roids.
20240921_093202.jpg
20240921_093144.jpg
20240921_093127.jpg

How things are looking this morning i see improvements. So continued brodcast feeding roids. Will slack on the roids to everyday other day once things seem level and Po4 is readable on test kit again. I don’t wanna end up with the oppsite problem by over doing anything. So looking for the balance point between happy coral and fair testing ranges.

I'd consider going easy on the reef roids and heavier on the normal food. Eg instead of 1/3rd a cube a day go a cube a day (or more), fed over multiple times, and don't rinse the food (dump everything in, including the small pieces and dirty water). At some point, probably a small point(?), it'll be beyond the point corals are eating it, but fish will keep eating. Fatter fish are healthier fish, so might as well get a benefit. Alternatively if you're doing roids just to get the numbers up, it might be more cost effective to buy N & P dosing ingredients.

My personal preference:
* More fish feeding (remember fish poop and pee feeds corals, particularly ammonia)
* Some more roids (to the amount feeding corals)
* Compensate the rest with dosing N&P if the first one doesn't get you there

I'm also a fan of keeping the skimmer running, even if numbers are low. Just have it very very very dry skim, or not skim at all. Helps reduce pH moves and keeps you in a place where you can easily add a bit more cleaning when you need it (adjust to be wetter).

Last edited:
I'd consider going easy on the reef roids and heavier on the normal food. Eg instead of 1/3rd a cube a day go a cube a day (or more), feed over multiple times, and don't rinse the food (dump everything in, including the small pieces and dirty water). At some point, probably a small point(?), it'll be beyond the point corals are eating it, but fish will keep eating. Fatter fish are healthier fish, so might as well get a benefit. Alternatively if you're doing roids just to get the numbers up, it might be more cost effective to buy N & P dosing ingredients.

My personal preference:
* More fish feeding (remember fish poop and pee feeds corals, particularly ammonia)

I'm also a fan of keeping the skimmer running, even if numbers are low. Just have it very very very dry skim, or not skim at all. Helps reduce pH moves and keeps you in a place where you can easily add a bit more cleaning when you need it (adjust to be wetter).

Thanks alot for all the feed back and recommendations everyone else included!!!
No clue how to adjust the skimmer i just plugged it in it was used so came with no direction though I admit I didn't know u could adjust anything with it.

Roids were just to get numbers up. I have it on hand and never actually use it anymore it cause a spike in po4 on my main tank. So figured it couldn't hurt to add a little to raise them in this tank.

I've also never looked at Ph so not sure it's importance.

I never rinse the food, but I can also feed more to the tank as advised.

I just took same feeding methods i use in my main tank with the po4 issues. So I never accounted for much improved filtration. Implies It can handle the extra food. I also never set up the refugium with micro yet. I won't even consider doing that given the current issue for a good while.

Last edited:
I'd consider going easy on the reef roids and heavier on the normal food. Eg instead of 1/3rd a cube a day go a cube a day (or more), feed over multiple times, and don't rinse the food (dump everything in, including the small pieces and dirty water). At some point, probably a small point(?), it'll be beyond the point corals are eating it, but fish will keep eating. Fatter fish are healthier fish, so might as well get a benefit. Alternatively if you're doing roids just to get the numbers up, it might be more cost effective to buy N & P dosing ingredients.

My personal preference:

I would +1 all of this. I would even be more specific and say rehome the clown tang now and add several smaller, more appropriate fish - get some fish poop going! Feed those fellas - it brings joy.

Also strongly agree with keeping the skimmer going.

I would +1 all of this. I would even be more specific and say rehome the clown tang now and add several smaller, more appropriate fish - get some fish poop going! Feed those fellas - it brings joy.

Also strongly agree with keeping the skimmer going.
Turned skimmer back on. Since doing the reef roids diatoms have returned again, they were almost completely gone. Today I made tons of changes between both tanks.

Moved the nems to the 65. Afterwork i came back to find it split again so 3 instead of the two. I also moved the maroons to 65 with their nem.

They quickly made the clown tang submit to them. I will most likey rehome it. I don't really care for lots of little fish. - the first google search i came across with the clown tang steered me wrong so will definitely read more than one result with future searchs.
I have no clue what type of fish I want but something like a show fish cool colors yet gets 6/7 inches fully grown like the maroons. I'm open to suggestions on such a fish (thats not too expensive)? Maybe there is a suitable tang that doesn't get big? Also considered a flame dwarfnangel but saw mixed reviews on them in reef tanks.

I was finally able to mount a good portion of the sps on my rock structure in the 32 with the clowns moved. Looking to get some type of clarkii clowns to replace the maroons. I have two black ice clowns in my frag tank both adults but too small for my preference and my six line would probably kill them, hence i'll look for a pair of either designer clarkiis or maroons for the 32g.

Turned skimmer back on. Since doing the reef roids diatoms have returned again, they were almost completely gone. Today I made tons of changes between both tanks.

Moved the nems to the 65. Afterwork i came back to find it split again so 3 instead of the two. I also moved the maroons to 65 with their nem.

They quickly made the clown tang submit to them. I will most likey rehome it. I don't really care for lots of little fish. - the first google search i came across with the clown tang steered me wrong so will definitely read more than one result with future searchs.
I have no clue what type of fish I want but something like a show fish cool colors yet gets 6/7 inches fully grown like the maroons. I'm open to suggestions on such a fish (thats not too expensive)? Maybe there is a suitable tang that doesn't get big? Also considered a flame dwarfnangel but saw mixed reviews on them in reef tanks.

I was finally able to mount a good portion of the sps on my rock structure in the 32 with the clowns moved. Looking to get some type of clarkii clowns to replace the maroons. I have two black ice clowns in my frag tank both adults but too small for my preference and my six line would probably kill them, hence i'll look for a pair of either designer clarkiis or maroons for the 32g.

I guess it depends what you consider small, but with 65g you’re looking at small fish. That’s too small of a tank for tangs, IMO. Maybe a Ctenochaetus but those don’t have the cool colors you’re looking for probably. Dwarf angels would work but are risky, apparently.

Reefs look better with small fish, you don’t want big fish in a small tank…sucks for the fish and doesn’t look natural, aesthetically speaking.

Whatever you do, please ask around before buying! Either here or the breakfast guy on humble…he’s excellent.

I guess it depends what you consider small, but with 65g you’re looking at small fish. That’s too small of a tank for tangs, IMO. Maybe a Ctenochaetus but those don’t have the cool colors you’re looking for probably. Dwarf angels would work but are risky, apparently.

Reefs look better with small fish, you don’t want big fish in a small tank…sucks for the fish and doesn’t look natural, aesthetically speaking.

Whatever you do, please ask around before buying! Either here or the breakfast guy on humble…he’s excellent.
What’s humble?

Just hoping for something the size of my maroons just under hand/fist size, bigger than the smaller clownfish. Nothing huge I probably gave a poor description.

Last edited:
What’s humble?

Just hoping for something the size of my maroons just under hand/fist size, bigger than the smaller clownfish. Nothing huge I probably gave a poor description.

This guy seems to know a lot. There is also a youtube video of him, pretty obsessed with going very deep into the subject etc.

This guy seems to know a lot. There is also a youtube video of him, pretty obsessed with going very deep into the subject etc.
Thanks, never heard of it looks like a different forum like reef2reef or here. Ill definitely look for him on utube.

There's been some threads about livestock choice in this forum, but I'd look around for the ones about fish that have jobs in the tank. There's a lot of really cool fish out there, but it's also really really cool to not have to do maintenance on your tank because your livestock does it for you.

I can't speak directly to your tank compatibility, but things I greatly enjoy:
  • A rabbitfish (foxface) - eat all the things, including bubble algae and commonly eat hair algae and and and. Easy to find, including small ones that probably can fit in your tank and easy to re-home because everyone wants one. I think general consensus would say a 65gal is too small, so your choice, but again you can find very small ones
  • A bristletooth tang - another algae eater, though in my experience less impactful than the foxface. There's ones that I think a 65gal would pass the least aggressive tang police
  • Lawnmower blenny - caveat I have not found mine too be useful at all for keeping things in control. Maybe it is, but far less useful than the others. Can be an interesting fish though since it's different
There's others too, like juvenile other tangs which I'm not going to suggest nor rag on someone for getting. Just be honest with yourself on if you'd actually go through the trouble of catching it and buying a new one if you're buying it because it's small. That's a lot of work, and probably most people won't do it.

Once you get your worker fish picked out, then figure out what other fish you can fit in. IMO that makes things long term more fun, even if you're not starting with the dream fish selection, because the best way to get out of the hobby is let it turn into a second job with all the maintenance.

There's been some threads about livestock choice in this forum, but I'd look around for the ones about fish that have jobs in the tank. There's a lot of really cool fish out there, but it's also really really cool to not have to do maintenance on your tank because your livestock does it for you.

I can't speak directly to your tank compatibility, but things I greatly enjoy:
  • A rabbitfish (foxface) - eat all the things, including bubble algae and commonly eat hair algae and and and. Easy to find, including small ones that probably can fit in your tank and easy to re-home because everyone wants one. I think general consensus would say a 65gal is too small, so your choice, but again you can find very small ones
  • A bristletooth tang - another algae eater, though in my experience less impactful than the foxface. There's ones that I think a 65gal would pass the least aggressive tang police
  • Lawnmower blenny - caveat I have not found mine too be useful at all for keeping things in control. Maybe it is, but far less useful than the others. Can be an interesting fish though since it's different
There's others too, like juvenile other tangs which I'm not going to suggest nor rag on someone for getting. Just be honest with yourself on if you'd actually go through the trouble of catching it and buying a new one if you're buying it because it's small. That's a lot of work, and probably most people won't do it.

Once you get your worker fish picked out, then figure out what other fish you can fit in. IMO that makes things long term more fun, even if you're not starting with the dream fish selection, because the best way to get out of the hobby is let it turn into a second job with all the maintenance.

Thanks i tried getting a 2.5 inch fox face from a lfs last week it died the same day pretty discouraging. I use to have a 6 inch one around 2006 when i had a fish only tank.
I would be open to trying another one but I won't be getting fish from that store again despite cheap prices. They also had bristle tangs in the past yet 2 dead fish from them in 3 weeks they are off my list as a source for getting fish.

I saw small foxfaces at other nearby stores but at 3 times the price. I was hesitant to spend that much after loosing the other one.

I also used to have a lawnmower blenny during that same time frame.

My current plan for fish in the tank:

My maroon pair
1 cardinal/ maybe a 2nd for a pair
1 larger wrasse - I picked up the melanurus wrasse.
1 other fish - discussed in recent posts
" the dream one would be a small magnificant fox face but they are way more than I could afford, so i would be limited to the standard yellow ones"
5/6 fish total, no more than 1 fish per 10 gallons.

Basically I'm just looking for that one more fish. With no idea of what beyond something a little cool.

Got it only saw a article or two from reef2reef mainly i go here and utube.

Trying to find the breakfast guy on utube no luck so far

I asked him on your behalf, let’s see what he says:

Foxfaces are cool fish mine blow bubbles, shoot water out of the tank, and make weird noises lol..They have a ridiculously huge apitite and if underfed they may start eating lps, leathers, hammers,zoas etc.. Once they get a taste for corals they will continue to munch so depending how much coral growth you may see a dent lol.They get big as some tangs so long term good sized tank..I had a pair for a while model citizens which did great but outa the blue several other fish started chasing nipping one of the foxfaces who was super pieceful so had to re-home.
Feeding frozen @derek_SR turned me on to these pouches.. I wrap frozen food in nori like a gift then stuff in the pouch..Works like a time release helps slow down the frenzy or whole cubes getting sucked down the pipes. Wife got tired of my smelly red party cups and turkey baster full of thawed out frozen soup always around the tanks or in the fridge lol!..No need to rince just wrap and toss in!
The only fish that have nothing to do and just look pretty are my clown pairs! Otherwise everyone else has a job glad their not union!

Here are those pouches! If I don't fold/ roll up the nori the fish will literally pull the whole sheet though the holes!

Attachments

• IMG_6583.jpeg
    IMG_6583.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 2
Foxfaces are cool fish mine blow bubbles, shoot water out of the tank, and make weird noises lol..They have a ridiculously huge apitite and if underfed they may start eating lps, leathers, hammers,zoas etc.. Once they get a taste for corals they will continue to munch so depending how much coral growth you may see a dent lol.They get big as some tangs so long term good sized tank..I had a pair for a while model citizens which did great but outa the blue several other fish started chasing nipping one of the foxfaces who was super pieceful so had to re-home.
Feeding frozen @derek_SR turned me on to these pouches.. I wrap frozen food in nori like a gift then stuff in the pouch..Works like a time release helps slow down the frenzy or whole cubes getting sucked down the pipes. Wife got tired of my smelly red party cups and turkey baster full of thawed out frozen soup always around the tanks or in the fridge lol!..No need to rince just wrap and toss in!
The only fish that have nothing to do and just look pretty are my clown pairs! Otherwise everyone else has a job glad their not union!
Interesting topic about the pockets of nori you mentioned would love to see pictures of it when if you have a chance. I kinda have a idea of what you mean, but pictures would make it more plain.

When i had one before I didn't have any coral, I definitely wouldn't be happy with one eating my hammers lol, probably the main thing that would be in that tank, unless I start collecting torches.

Would you describe it as a

high, moderate, or low risk with foxfaces go9ng after lps specifically hammers?

Back