got ethical husbandry?

advice on coating rocks

popper

Supporting Member
I have texas holey rocks that when rub leaves a white powder like chalk. What can I use to safely coat the rocks and safe for aquarium occupants?

thanks

I don’t know what these rocks are but the bigger issue is that the rocks used in a reef tank are critically important in many ways, not just something to attach coral to. I would never use something that wasn’t already well known to be reef-safe and reef-beneficial.

I would NEVER consider using a rock type that needed some kind of coating to be acceptable, that is just completely asking for trouble in so many ways.

I don’t know what these rocks are but the bigger issue is that the rocks used in a reef tank are critically important in many ways, not just something to attach coral to. I would never use something that wasn’t already well known to be reef-safe and reef-beneficial.

I would NEVER consider using a rock type that needed some kind of coating to be acceptable, that is just completely asking for trouble in so many ways.
I have to agree with this.

Afaik texas holey rock are a sort of limestone - calcium-based like most of the rocks we use in reef tanks. There's always a chance of contaminants using materials of unknown origin a reef tank, but in all likelihood safe to use after rinsing off the limestone dust.

I've seen holey rock used in cichlid and FOWLR tanks lots of times with no obvious ill effect. It does not make good live rock substitute from a biological perspective because it is not porous, but if you like how it looks I wouldn't be hugely concerned, particularly if acid washed or at least scrubbed off first, and in a system that does get water changes.

Back