Cali Kid Corals

Airport Carry On

Am I allowed to bring my tripod with me with my carry on? I will only have my Crumpler 7MDH, and my tripod (with bag/case).
I thought it might be great to do some night shots at the airport quickly when I arrive at my destination.
Just was not sure if my tripod is classified as a weapon (though, what isn't?).
And for what it is worth, it isn't a small gorilla tripod or anything like that -it is a standard sized Benro.

I've brought mine along with me multiple times, just tossed it in my backpack. This has been to/from texas, san diego, and international via costa rica with no problems whatsoever. I just made sure I had a camera in there with it so it wouldn't look suspicious.

I've carried-on a tripod twice in the past year. It's an Induro, about 20" closed with the head removed. I had it packed in my carry-on. Though that doesn't mean they might have changed the rules lately :)

phishphood said:
I've brought mine along with me multiple times, just tossed it in my backpack. This has been to/from texas, san diego, and international via costa rica with no problems whatsoever. I just made sure I had a camera in there with it so it wouldn't look suspicious.

Thanks Mitch. I want to be sure I can bring it with me because, I wouldn't know what to do with it if they told me I cannot take it with me on my carry-on. I will definitely have my camera with me -it does not go anywhere I do not :) Unfortunately my tripod will not fit in my other carry on bag (7MDH).

georgec said:
I've carried-on a tripod twice in the past year. It's an Induro, about 20" closed with the head removed. I had it packed in my carry-on. Though that doesn't mean they might have changed the rules lately :)

Cool. My tripod is substantially larger than yours. With the ball head attached, my rig is about 30" when closed. My tripod bag fits everything perfectly.
Thanks for your input though! Good to know it can be done. Times before this, I simply took my tripod apart and packed it in with my check-in luggage.

Hope you're headed somewhere nice. I traded off size for stability on my tripod knowing that for me, a good tripod is one I'm more likely to carry with me, but it works pretty well and I hook a sandbag on if I need to.

georgec said:
Hope you're headed somewhere nice. I traded off size for stability on my tripod knowing that for me, a good tripod is one I'm more likely to carry with me, but it works pretty well and I hook a sandbag on if I need to.

Price
Stability
Weight

I chose stability and weight. I am often out shooting in windy conditions, or unstable ground. I also felt better having all of my gear mounted on a nice sturdy tripod -plus, I get exercise :)

Ooh, Anthony that might be a slightly larger issue. Mine comes down to around 17" closed with head attached. I suppose that as long as you have it in a tripod bag it shouldn't be too big an issue.

phishphood said:
Ooh, Anthony that might be a slightly larger issue. Mine comes down to around 17" closed with head attached. I suppose that as long as you have it in a tripod bag it shouldn't be too big an issue.

Meh, maybe I'll take my Manfrotto tripod (22" when closed).
:)

Maybe call the airline in advance, talk to a live person, get their name and extension/badge # and bring that on a piece of paper with you in case they ask you any questions.

But I think you'll be fine.

Never traveled with anything that large, but it should work. I've traveled with my 16" collapsible (head removed) in a carry on bag all the time. Usually no problems with it, even though they'll scan it and sometimes open the bag up going through x-ray because they've never seen a ballhead before or what it does.

If flying Southwest pay the extra to board with low A so you have plenty of overhead bins to choose from. I saw a woman get on with a guitar recently and she was so near last there was not an empty bin and she had to shuffle with other passengers.

I bring my really big one with me a lot, but it fits into my carry on bag when I dismantle it all (barely). As long as it's within the dimensions of a carry on, they'll let it on.

I'll just bring my 22" tripod. I won't remove the ball head though because it requires a screwdriver to attach back to the center column. And indent think theyll let me bring a screwdriver in my carry on :)
Should be okay with ballhead attached, yes?

As long as it's small enough, that should be fine. I have to dismantel mine to get it to fit in my bag, but I think you'll be fine.

What ballhead/center column do you have? I've never had a ballhead that needed a screwdriver before, so just curious.

I don't remember the exact model of the ballhead, but it is a manfrotto RC head. Kind of hard to explain, but the ballhead itself does not have screws. First you twist on the ballhead like normal. The top of the center column has three small screws (threaded side up) that you then tighten and they hold the ball head firm in place. If you dont tighten these screws down, it may be difficult to rotate the ball head without it coming off. come to think of it... That may not be an issue at all. The tripod is a manfrotto 190prob. FWIW, the tripod is 22" long when fully collapsed with bullhead attached. Shouldn't be too big right?
I check to see if that works when I get home.

ah, the screws must be to tighten it up so it won't loosen up on it's own. My center column has the loosening issue sometimes. I always have to crank that thing on.

kinetic said:
ah, the screws must be to tighten it up so it won't loosen up on it's own. My center column has the loosening issue sometimes. I always have to crank that thing on.

Yeah, I'll just leave the ballhead on. I don't see it being an issue unless you think it will be .I'll be carrying the tripod inside of my 30" Benro carrying bag though, because it is the only tripod bag I have. I'll check the maximum size for carry on tonight.

Hm, okay so the limit for a carry on bag is 24" ... Looks like I won't be able to use my tripod bag. Will the airport allow me to carry just he tripod (22") on without he bag?

Back