Cali Kid Corals

Algae Film

I have zero nitrates, zero phosphates, and PH is 7.9. However, within three days of cleaning my glass, I get a small film of green algae (not hairy) on the glass. I have snails, but maybe not enough. I feel the parameters are good and I have great coral growth. I run GFO and carbon through a BRS dual reactor and change the media monthly. I have a sump full of chaeto.

Why would I continue to get the growth? Too much lighting during the day?

I generally need to run the velcro side of the cleaner magnet over the glass every 3-4 days. I think that's typical unless you're trying to run a low-nutrient tank?

Maybe you can pull your lights forward a little and angle them towards the back so the front wall doesn’t get lit as much?
Is it just the front or the back and sides as well? What about on the rocks or sand?
Is it getting much daylight?

ohhh yah, <3 the flipper.

it can be little irritating because the thing doesn't float... but the blades last foooreeeeever so it's totally worth it.

I'm in the exactly same situation. No hair algae, no algae on rocks or sand, but every 4 days I need to clean the front glass of the tank, in fact kind of lazy and I do it every Sunday.
I played around with the lights and when you put less hours of light a day and also move them towards the back, there is less algae growing in the glass.
But as others say, I just take it as normal maintenance of the tank like cleaning other stuff in the sump or external filter.

With simple film algae (not coraline) you want a pad, not a scraper.
Takes very little time or effort to clean. Just be careful to not get sand in the pad.
Most mag-float things support both.

Back