Neptune Aquatics

Algae Turf Scrubbers - myth or reality

So it is like a wet/dry sump but instead of floss in the ‘dry’ section you have GHA? Seems like a great way to do it while also making it easier to access for cleaning. Does it smell? Or is there enough water coverage

It's been almost a decade since this thread started. There are now quite a few off-the-shelf ATS systems avaiable now. Most are semi-plug-and-play, with you needing only to plumb it in and give it power.

My tank has struggled with super high nitrates for a while, and I added a sulphur reactor to help. Nitrates came down (I don't remember the exact numbers ... I sent my water to a lab and ideally nitrates should have been close to zero, with many test kits measuring up to 50ppm, mine was way over 100 or so, I can't remember, the numbers are in my wifebane tank journal).

Due to a failed return pump I no longer have fish, so I can now stop feeding the tank, with only BTAs and a clam (and snails) to keep alive. My rocks are coated with algae, I'm pretty sure it's bryopsis.
I run a skimmer (ancient AquaC EV-120) and a sulphur reactor. I've not recently tested nitrates, which I should. But doing some research (and chatting with Rygh) I've decided to get an ATS.

I was going to build one, which would be cheaper, but if I'm honest with myself, I'm not going to ever get around to it...so I ordered a RAIN2 ATS from Marine Depot.

Since my tanks is a disaster now, once it shows up, I look forward to seeing if it helps with algae and nitrates.

max_nano, to answer your question, based on my internet reading, an ATS is simply a subsystem of your sump that grows algae really well, so that you concentrate all the algae growing there instead of in your main tank. There are a few different strategies, from super simple "throw a knitting mesh into the sump" to inline plumbed systems that create a waterfall over a mesh with powerful lights to grow algae.

I settled on the RAIN2 based on my own sump configuration, taking into consideration space under my tank and my plumbing. They aren't cheap, but I also didn't spend thousands to have a display tank to display algae covered rocks either. I hope it works out.

V

I should also mention, that BRS (Bulk Reef Supply) has a bunch of video on ATS systems, so there is a lot more information nowadays than 10 years ago.

V

When the RAIN2 arrives, I'll update my tank journal and we'll see if it helps!

@MarAquatic makes a scrubber as well.
This is true lol
3ae2d3469597a179cd14e27de9cc4667.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I got my RAIN 2, but I'm puzzling over how to plumb it in my tank. I think I'll take of of the drain lines and use it to feed the scrubber. I'd rather not use another pump, but I'm not sure the drain line (one of two) would have sufficient flow to run it efficiently. Still, it would be a freebie and will take the water straight from the display tank. My drains woult then split 50/50 to the skimmer section and the ATS/return section.

I really curse my aquarium stand (which I bought used from a guy who built it) because it was overbuilt and really limits the size of the sump that I can physically maneuver into the stand. Ideally, I'd have a skimmer section, then the ATS section, then an optional refugium section for critters, then a return section.... Sorry, I got distracted.

Anyway, it comes with some flexible options to plumb it. You can sit it on a 2 inch pvc stand, which also acts as input, or you can put it on some sort of shelf and feed it though a 3/4" hose barb. The return water just falls out the bottom, but if you want you can attach a drain pipe to it to direct the water under the surface of your sump water to prevent splashing sounds,which I might do.

V

Wow, I finally got around to reading more of this thread and ... "wow" is all I can say. Well, we'll see how well my ATS works. Since the biggest change to my tank at the moment is ... no fish, and therefore no more feeding, it will be hard to tell is the added ATS does what it's says it does. BRS says they work, I see from further reading into this thread (from 10 years ago) that there are differing opinions (as expected).

V

Wow, 10 year old thread....
Here is mine, 10 years later. Rather old and dusty.
Opinion remains similar:
Done right, they can be a real help in nutrient removal.
But they are tricky, especially when first added, so it is no miracle must have fix.

IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0437.jpg

Back