Neptune Aquatics

Alkalinity precipitation in solution.

L/B Block

Supporting Member
So..I bought a one gallon packet of BRS soda ash and mixed it all up. I don’t recall that much precipitation though in the past (non-BRS) -see pic.

Been dosing manually but prob will get the doser back into action soon. Just don’t feel like shaking up the solution every day though.

Is this normal? Should I try a different brand of soda ash? Also don’t feel like contending with a kalk reactor..

TIA.

Attachments

• C19D3AF8-6B27-4589-9117-CAD5EED98681.jpeg
    C19D3AF8-6B27-4589-9117-CAD5EED98681.jpeg
    44.6 KB · Views: 121
See if I can get a better pic. Less than a week. Still packing a punch though-esp on the PH.

Maybe switch to sodium bicarbonate?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 113
I use a 5 gallon jug of brs soda ash, and sometimes have a hard time with getting the last 5% to dissolve, but I have never seen anything like that for what its worth.

Do you have it in the garage or otherwise someplace cold? Cold can cause it to precipitate. Also if you are making it more concentrated than recommended it will do that.

Do you have it in the garage or otherwise someplace cold? Cold can cause it to precipitate. Also if you are making it more concentrated than recommended it will do that.
I don’t think my laundry room would constitute “cold” where it is stored. I was wondering about the concentration though. I need to go back and take a look at the directions though. It says to add the whole bag which I wonder..a little too much?

It def seems to pack a punch and I have even reduced the amount in a single day given the effects on PH (raising it by .2)

If you are having issues with dissolving, and it is "packing a punch", I bet there is 10-20% more by weight in there somehow. I have done things like this is the past. My big one was I used an alk jug that dissolved and my and my alk solution dripped into my ato, causing an "unexplained" rise in alk in the tank. I could also see counting scoops (for me 5 and 1/2 scoop) to make the gallon and missed one to give the extra amount.

Unless you have an ultra high range ph/dkh test kit, best bet is likely to dilute it by 1/3 or so, assume you have a slightly weaker solution, and up your daily dosing volume by 20%. The reason I say to dilute it more than you think you need to is because then you have more room for error when dosing a volume of the new alk solution. You can also use a reef dosing calculator to get some feedback on dosing amount of the new solution related to to dkh rise of the whole system.

If you are having issues with dissolving, and it is "packing a punch", I bet there is 10-20% more by weight in there somehow. I have done things like this is the past. My big one was I used an alk jug that dissolved and my and my alk solution dripped into my ato, causing an "unexplained" rise in alk in the tank. I could also see counting scoops (for me 5 and 1/2 scoop) to make the gallon and missed one to give the extra amount.

Unless you have an ultra high range ph/dkh test kit, best bet is likely to dilute it by 1/3 or so, assume you have a slightly weaker solution, and up your daily dosing volume by 20%. The reason I say to dilute it more than you think you need to is because then you have more room for error when dosing a volume of the new alk solution. You can also use a reef dosing calculator to get some feedback on dosing amount of the new solution related to to dkh rise of the whole system.
Not a bad idea. Thanks

I used to have precipitation issues when I dosed the alkalinity solution, white clouds with every drop hitting the water, so I would make 1/2 strength solutions and then never saw it again, and sure I'm adding twice as much water but it wasn't anywhere near what my evaporation rate was so I called it a win. And if you're seeing stuff in there, I assume their recipe is for a fully saturated solution and perhaps they gave a bit more for some reason.

Do you have it in the garage or otherwise someplace cold? Cold can cause it to precipitate. Also if you are making it more concentrated than recommended it will do
question- if the water itself was “cold” when mixed -could that cause an issue during mixing.

I used to have precipitation issues when I dosed the alkalinity solution, white clouds with every drop hitting the water, so I would make 1/2 strength solutions and then never saw it again, and sure I'm adding twice as much water but it wasn't anywhere near what my evaporation rate was so I called it a win. And if you're seeing stuff in there, I assume their recipe is for a fully saturated solution and perhaps they gave a bit more for some reason.
Also not a bad idea for future mixes.

Back