Reef nutrition

Alkatronics intake pre-filter alternative

newfly

Supporting Member
Since my intake is at the back AOI chamber, it gets exposure to the lights and algae can mess up the pre-filter quickly. I have been changing the prefilter every couple of months.

Anyone aware of cheaper alternative compared to the $8 a pop original replacement?

For my calcium reactor and KH Guardian intake, I have the water flow through one of these DI canisters that I stuff with filter floss. Just need to add fittings to each end depending on what size hose you use.

41P-Hl0MlvL._AC_SL1227_.jpg

For my calcium reactor and KH Guardian intake, I have the water flow through one of these DI canisters that I stuff with filter floss. Just need to add fittings to each end depending on what size hose you use.

41P-Hl0MlvL._AC_SL1227_.jpg

Good idea, I may do this myself although it sounds like @newfly doesn't have the space if he's using an AIO.

@newfly I have been buying them on Amazon:

They are small engine fuel filters - lots of options. Just be sure to get ones that don't have any metal (3/16" is a size that returns a lot of results).

You can find them for $0.50 - $1.00 each in packs of 10.

(or just find a way to block the light)

Good idea, I may do this myself although it sounds like @newfly doesn't have the space if he's using an AIO.

@newfly I have been buying them on Amazon:

They are small engine fuel filters - lots of options. Just be sure to get ones that don't have any metal (3/16" is a size that returns a lot of results).

You can find them for $0.50 - $1.00 each in packs of 10.

(or just find a way to block the light)
Maybe I’m doing something wrong. Most of the 3/16 fuel filter results in Amazon have magnets build in. There are a couple of smaller packs without magnets but they are $4 each.

These are the ones I use from Amazon for mastertronic and alkatronic

Inline Fuel Filter, Lawn Mower Fuel Filter, CocoMocart 3/16 Fuel Filter, Universal Fuel Filter Clear for Motorcycle Beauty Instrument Polymer Lawn Mower Parts (12 Pack)​

Back