Cali Kid Corals

Anyone know where I can buy a 4’x2’ sheet of black egg crate?

image.jpg

I’ve made a lot of frag racks over the years. A staggered pattern is the best imo. Over sized holes are a must. Frag plug diameters are not the same.plus junk grows on the frag plug over time. Making it difficult to remove if the diameters are exact. Foot height should be at least 1.5 “ so fish can swim under and flow.
To be honest tho. Black egg crate is hard to beat. The white egg crate grows too much junk for some reason.

Really? I went in yesterday and around 11:30 and there was none where it normally is and I asked one of the employees if you had anymore and they told me someone came in and bought several so they were out until Wednesday/Thursday next week
Oh no, my apologies. Thought I saw one or two just few days ago. Last one was shown sold yesterday. I’ll see if I can get some more. They are really hard to come by nowadays. Very limited production.

Edited…Just confirmed we’ll have more on Wednesday!

Curious what you wound up doing?

I agree with the those above who said making them out of black egg crate is the easiest and best way to go. And the advice to make extra so you can rotate out for cleaning. For the feet I’ve cut out squares and glued them one on top of another, and alternatively used the risers that were popularized by IM with their SnappGrid product and then copied by many. They both work well. I’ve used acrylic racks but the problem in my opinion is there’s too much flat area to grow stuff and block flow/light.

Curious what you wound up doing?

I agree with the those above who said making them out of black egg crate is the easiest and best way to go. And the advice to make extra so you can rotate out for cleaning. For the feet I’ve cut out squares and glued them one on top of another, and alternatively used the risers that were popularized by IM with their SnappGrid product and then copied by many. They both work well. I’ve used acrylic racks but the problem in my opinion is there’s too much flat area to grow stuff and block flow/light.
I ended up making my own from acrylic sheets with acrylic rods for legs.

One of the reasons I was leaning towards egg crate originally was because I was told the square holes would be good for flow vs acrylic which allows less flow since there isn’t as many holes and they are much smaller. I was going to buy some 3D printed legs to use with the egg crate.

I will say I like the look of the DIY acrylic racks a lot better. But if functionally it does not work out I will move on to the original plan of egg crate and 3D printed legs from Etsy.

I made 6 racks out of the acrylic. If things go well I’ll make a few more to be able to swap out. They didn’t have enough 1/4” acrylic sheets when I went otherwise I would’ve made a few more from the start.

I will attach a pic of one of the 6 racks I made. I’ll also attach a pic of the egg crate and 3D printed legs I wanted to do originally.

Attachments

• IMG_9767.png
    IMG_9767.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9847.png
    IMG_9847.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 26
Back