Reef nutrition

Anyone NOT connecting their CO2 scrubber to protein skimmer

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Anyone who is using a CO2 scrubber not directly connect to their protein skimmer?

I have an alt pump with Venturi that I thought about using instead. Reason being is that then the PK would simply be constant and not have reduced air if the PH got too high and the solent valve turned off.

However I think trying to keep PH 8.2-8.3 would keep the CO2 scrubber on most of the time?

Downside of additional pump is pushing detritus all over place. Upside is that it can also provide tumbling for microalgae

Opinions please. Thanks

IMHO
Too complicated
Too many possible problems
Not necessary

I have NEVER added CO2 to anything except a FW plant tank
But that’s just me

I hope you like cleaning or replacing pH probes
And calibrate them with regularity
I don’t

IMHO
Too complicated
Not necessary

But that’s just me

I don’t
CO2 scrubber uses dry media to remove CO2 from air coming into the Skimmer. It helps raise pH.

IMHO
Too complicated
Not necessary

But that’s just me

I don’t
I have directed used it before in my last tank. It helped immensely in my case.

I have a CO2 scrubber drawing air not from the skimmer. Works well. The main reason I don’t draw from the skimmer cup is that I’m paranoid that someday it’ll suck in water and dump soda lime into my tank and potentially kill everything.

[edit] I think I misunderstood your question, sorry. I was talking about air intake. You are asking if people just run air through the CO2 scrubber and bubble it in their sump completely separate from the skimmer. I don’t have experience but I think either the gas exchange wouldn’t be great or the spray would be a problem.

I have a CO2 scrubber drawing air not from the skimmer. Works well. The main reason I don’t draw from the skimmer cup is that I’m paranoid that someday it’ll suck in water and dump soda lime into my tank and potentially kill everything.

[edit] I think I misunderstood your question, sorry. I was talking about air intake. You are asking if people just run air through the CO2 scrubber and bubble it in their sump completely separate from the skimmer. I don’t have experience but I think either the gas exchange wouldn’t be great or the spray would be a problem.
I don’t think the spray would be an issue in this case but I do think the gas exchange would suffer. I am not worried about soda lime spilling into the tank. But yes I thinking about “bubbling” it directly into the sump per se

Back