Neptune Aquatics

ATO pump issues - Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I bought the subject ATO to replace the Red Sea ATO in my new nano tank.

Unfortunately, the Tunze pump does not seem strong enough to push the water through.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I thought this was the long-reigning king of all ATOs, but I am not impressed, to be honest.

IMG_1879.jpeg

Sometimes if there are air bubbles in the pump and not enough water, it rattles and fails to get primed correctly. A little shake will get the job done to prime it. Doesn’t happen that often, especially if you never let your ATO container run dry.

I have had four of them for 6-7 years. Only one has had a failed pump so far and one controller kinda started acting wonky last month.

If I get the reservoir a tad too low, air get into the tube. I disconnect the tube from the pump, and reinsert the tube while the pump is on. Always works.

Curious @Alexander1312 -why did you swap out the Red Sea ATO? I have one and it has worked well-except for when the sensor failed -but Red Sea was pretty good about sending a new one pretty fast

I am still using the Red Sea ATO on the larger tank, but I was frustrated with the one I had for the nano tank. It would stop constantly after refill and need to be manually reactivated to continue to autofill. I recgonize that these could have been just air bubbles, which I tried in different ways and as instructed by Red Sea to release without success (reoccurred after a few days again). @JustinBolton's recommendation to invert the pump would probably have helped but I already returned it, as I knew that there was the Tunze ATO which everyone liked.

Back