High Tide Aquatics

Avast plank extension mixing tube

richiev

Supporting Member
Anyone have the plank with that longer mixing tube? If so can you upload some pics or describe it?

I need one and don't have time to order it. I'm trying to understand if it's just a normal pipe or something special.

Nevermind actually. I decided it's easier to dump directly into my return section, skip the avast pump, and use an old mini power head to do the mixing.

1000006077.jpg

I'm not sure if it'd be better if I turned my return pump around, but I think this way there's more water movement through the entire return area. Side benefit is it should fight detritus build up.

Nevermind actually. I decided it's easier to dump directly into my return section, skip the avast pump, and use an old mini power head to do the mixing.

View attachment 57379

I'm not sure if it'd be better if I turned my return pump around, but I think this way there's more water movement through the entire return area. Side benefit is it should fight detritus build up.
If you’re just dropping it in without the mini mixing pump in the pipe, you don’t even need the pipe I think. The food will need to be wetted and not floating to get drawn up by the return pump anyway.

If you’re just dropping it in without the mini mixing pump in the pipe, you don’t even need the pipe I think. The food will need to be wetted and not floating to get drawn up by the return pump anyway.
I originally was using the mixing pump in the tank, but it was too short a pipe for my sump. As you've noted, I realized if I used the power head I didn't need the mixing pump.

I'm not clear if I need the power head either, if I dumped right over the return, but seems like a good idea to prevent things dropping on the bottom.

I’ve been considering mounting mine in my sump return. I have tried adding the freeze dried food manually. Only issue I’ve seen is sometimes the food never makes it off the surface and just floats for the entire day. The other issue has been some of the big pieces get stuck on the return mesh. Do those using the feeding tube ever see stuff getting stuck on the top for a long time?

I’ve been considering mounting mine in my sump return. I have tried adding the freeze dried food manually. Only issue I’ve seen is sometimes the food never makes it off the surface and just floats for the entire day. The other issue has been some of the big pieces get stuck on the return mesh. Do those using the feeding tube ever see stuff getting stuck on the top for a long time?
I have never had this happen - is your pump on/flowing enough? The surface of the water in my tube is basically a little whirlpool, and nothing lasts long before it’s soaked and sucked under and out the bottom of the tube.

I have never had this happen - is your pump on/flowing enough? The surface of the water in my tube is basically a little whirlpool, and nothing lasts long before it’s soaked and sucked under and out the bottom of the tube.
Maybe not, the return area has a lot of water movement but not whirlpool effect. That’s why I think I will still need to use the included mixing tube and mixing pump to ensure the food makes it into the water column.

Back