Neptune Aquatics

Baby clowns

I've had a pair of mocha vinci clowns for about 2 years now. They spawned for the first time last summer but only a few eggs survived and I could not remove the eggs since they were laid on the back wall of my tank. I added a PVC pipe and the clowns quickly made it their home. They spawned again in November but my attempt to raise the fry was a total fail. I couldn't get the lighting right and I think the water was too foul. No fry made it past the 2nd night.

On the 3rd spawn, there were maybe 50-80 eggs that made it to hatch night. I moved the PVC pipe to the hatch tank (13 gal) on the night they hatched and got ~20 fry that were alive next morning. The rest did quickly died after hatching during the night (tons of dead bodies on the bottom of the tank). By the 3rd day, I only saw 6 survivors.

Today marks the 4th week and I'm proud to say that all 6 made it past meta and are alive today.

20210214_175639.jpg
20210214_175643.jpg
20210214_175634.jpg

4 look like mocha vincis, 1 looks like a basic ocellaris and theres one wyoming white. Pretty cool to see the diversity.

Wow, That's awesome.
Next time, hopefully, you'll even have more survive.
I want to try this with the spawning ocellaris pair I have now.
Mine have been laying eggs every 3 weeks for the past few months. I just don't know how to get them to lay eggs on a tile or pvc.
They lay their eggs on a rock in the display tank that can't be removed.

Wow, That's awesome.
Next time, hopefully, you'll even have more survive.
I want to try this with the spawning ocellaris pair I have now.
Mine have been laying eggs every 3 weeks for the past few months. I just don't know how to get them to lay eggs on a tile or pvc.
They lay their eggs on a rock in the display tank that can't be removed.
I definitely got lucky. I have lots of anenomes in my DT and my pair won't go near them. They huge the bag right corner of the tank and only venture out during feedings. I place a PVC pipe there and they took to it almost immediately. Hope yours do the same too!

Almost everyone I see on the internet uses clay pots. Is there something special about them that attracts clowns to lay their eggs on them?

They are easy to set up with a bubbler in the hatch tank. We cut our pots in half and place a tile underneath. Mostly they lay on the tile but sometimes its more like an explosion with the big females and there will be eggs on the tile and the pot. Some of the egg piles will be about the size of a donut. If the clowns are not in a breeding tank the clay pots are great for a display tank as they do not take up as much space and the clowns do seem attracted to them and they are easy to remove to the hatch tank.

Back