Neptune Aquatics

Back at it with another random thought.

Cmyk rgb

Supporting Member
And I started printing these frag disc. And they actually work great. When I need one. I just print one. They only take about a hour or so to make

Attachments

• 0785F25F-10DB-49E5-8763-68DDBD597B29.jpeg
    0785F25F-10DB-49E5-8763-68DDBD597B29.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 105
Kind of interesting looking with the bright plastic stripe and clean lines. I could see it working in some style tanks but probably not ones going for a natural look. I don’t think the plastic part is bad biologically or chemically. Recall that when superglue cures it is plastic (acrylic). It is fun and satisfying to 3D print stuff you need on demand.

Kind of interesting looking with the bright plastic stripe and clean lines. I could see it working in some style tanks but probably not ones going for a natural look. I don’t think the plastic part is bad biologically or chemically. Recall that when superglue cures it is plastic (acrylic). It is fun and satisfying to 3D print stuff you need on demand.
Very true! I use them in a frag tank. but I could see them sticking out like a sore thumb in a natural looking display.

The reason I don't like them is that when you frag them on a band saw, it can take way longer than normal rock, skeleton, or even aragocrete. Plus the whole micro plastics in the wastewater issue.

I've even been moving away from super glue now that I got my hands on some SeaTak. Doesn't seem to burn or damage coral tissue in the same way.

The reason I don't like them is that when you frag them on a band saw, it can take way longer than normal rock, skeleton, or even aragocrete. Plus the whole micro plastics in the wastewater issue.

I've even been moving away from super glue now that I got my hands on some SeaTak. Doesn't seem to burn or damage coral tissue in the same way.
OH interesting! I wouldn't think that plastic cuts slower than stone. I wonder if the thickness of them has something to do with that? But I do see how it could potentially cause issues with the waste water and irritation

Probably plastics could have the biggest effects on endocrine systems/reproduction since acrylic and superglue don’t typically contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals like phthalates and plasticizers. Maybe it only matters if you are rearing clownfish or something though.

Probably plastics could have the biggest effects on endocrine systems/reproduction since acrylic and superglue don’t typically contain endocrine-disrupting chemicals like phthalates and plasticizers. Maybe it only matters if you are rearing clownfish or something though.
This and other unknown factorS would lead me to shy away from more plastic when there’s a perfectly good alternative, like normal discs/plugs/tiles.

This and other unknown factorS would lead me to shy away from more plastic when there’s a perfectly good alternative, like normal discs/plugs/tiles.
Not a bad move, there is a ton of unknowns. Anytime I can make something opposed to buying it, I will, that is more intriguing to me. Who knows, I may end up making the crete ones eventually.

Not a bad move, there is a ton of unknowns. Anytime I can make something opposed to buying it, I will, that is more intriguing to me. Who knows, I may end up making the crete ones eventually.
Yes you can make the “normal” ones for sure. Unless you use a ton they are pretty cheap tho

Yes you can make the “normal” ones for sure. Unless you use a ton they are pretty cheap tho
If I do, I am thinking of making the frag tiles with little riser feet on the bottom to lift them up a bit and get them off of the bottom. That was one of the reasons I design the printed ones. Its a cool little feature

Back