Reef nutrition

Back in action & upgraded - 60g journal

September '21 update:
Not much going on since last update. Been battling GHA -- mostly with a toothbrush and a fish net. Trying to reduce hands-in time, so I've been trying to drop the PO4 to <0.2ppm. Really, I don't mind excessive levels; I think it's just best to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. Although effective, I'm not keen on the alk drop after adding GFO. Decided to try BeneReef and was able to get it down to 0.2ppm at one point, using the recommended feeding dose spread out over 5 days. However, it shot back up to 0.28ppm while I was away for the Labor Day weekend.

I'm now reconsidering my nuisance algae approach after watching AmroAzul's newest YouTube upload. In it, he reviews a few journal articles suggesting algae on the reefs (or the lack of) is maintained in larger part from a top-down approach (i.e., herbivores) rather than low nutrients (or bottom up). Enriched groups (or nutrient supplemented as I understand), in fact, do not significantly increase the amount of observable algae -- and in a few cases, actually, reduced the amount of algae.

So, if anyone has any recommendations on GHA-ivores, I'd love to hear 'em. Anyways, on to the photo updates:

Wide angle FTS:
20210915_201830.jpg

Top-down, wide angle FTS:
20210915_201313.jpg

Last edited:
September '21 update:
Not much going on since last update. Been battling GHA -- mostly with a toothbrush and a fish net. Trying to reduce hands-in time, so I've been trying to drop the PO4 to <0.2ppm. Really, I don't mind excessive levels; I think it's just best to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible. Although effective, I'm not keen on the alk drop after adding GFO. Decided to try BeneReef and was able to get it down to 0.2ppm at one point, using the recommended feeding dose spread out over 5 days. However, it shot back up to 0.28ppm while I was away for the Labor Day weekend.

I'm now reconsidering my nuisance algae approach after watching AmroAzul's newest YouTube upload. In it, he reviews a few journal articles suggesting algae on the reefs (or the lack of) is maintained in larger part from a top-down approach (i.e., herbivores) rather than low nutrients (or bottom up). Enriched groups (or nutrient supplemented as I understand), in fact, do not significantly increase the amount of observable algae -- and in a few cases, actually, reduced the amount of algae.

So, if anyone has any recommendations on GHA-ivores, I'd love to hear 'em. Anyways, on to the photo updates:

Wide angle FTS:
View attachment 31465

Top-down, wide angle FTS:
View attachment 31466
You can drug the gha away with fluconazole. I prefer the BlueRx brand . Works wonders.

There after, some nutrient control and you're golden

Back