High Tide Aquatics

Back wall monti

jonmedina

Supporting Member
Has anyone had any luck attaching an encrusting coral like a monti to the tank back wall? I was thinking about giving it a try but not sure how best to stick it or if it's a good idea. I was thinking about maybe gluing a corrosion resistant magnet to the back of the frag and then having a magnet inside the overflow to hold it in place until it takes hold. Is this a terrible idea?

I have a few different coral on the back wall of my tank. GSP and zoas do the best but I also have a favia that you can see behind the Duncan

I just glue a frag plug onto the back wall and let the coral grow off it then remove the frag plug once it’s got enough growth on the wall.

I wouldn’t want to rely on a magnet but you could use a similar approach of removing it once the monti has grown onto the wall enough. The downside of the glue approach is that it does some damage to the acrylic back wall my tank has

IMG_3140.jpeg
IMG_2827.jpeg

Ive had better success with montis on the bottom glass
IMG_2912.jpeg

Has anyone had any luck attaching an encrusting coral like a monti to the tank back wall? I was thinking about giving it a try but not sure how best to stick it or if it's a good idea. I was thinking about maybe gluing a corrosion resistant magnet to the back of the frag and then having a magnet inside the overflow to hold it in place until it takes hold. Is this a terrible idea?

Its a great idea. In my case, the monti got too heavy and eventually pulled the magnet down. Lesson learned, frag more, and use a large magnet lol

Great suggestions thanks all. Glad I'm not totally crazy.

I guess last question @BAYMAC said it pulled it down, does it not eventually encrust and "stick" to the back? I was hoping the glue/magnet to just temporarily hold it till the colony spread and could stick/support itself.

Great suggestions thanks all. Glad I'm not totally crazy.

I guess last question @BAYMAC said it pulled it down, does it not eventually encrust and "stick" to the back? I was hoping the glue/magnet to just temporarily hold it till the colony spread and could stick/support itself.

Mine was so I could move it, so I never let it encrust the wall. I used it to cover a pump I had in the area.

I've glued plenty directly to the wall, works great!

Back