got ethical husbandry?

battery backup options

Yep, it doesn't take much to put together to get ~30 hours of power to the vortech. Not too concerned about heat or light, but flow is different story.

Well real quick you can buy some Penn Plax B11 battery powered air pump. I'll give an Amazon link, but shop around;

They use two D-cell batteries and will run probably at least 8 hours or longer. They are simply battery powered air pumps that you plug into the wall and they detect if power is lost to the wall outlet. If it is, then they kick on. They are about as loud as you'd expect for air pumps, but I like this because if a breaker trips, they will go off and you can hear them.

As for lights and real pump circulation, I can't really say, but to very quickly get a backup circulation system in place, these work and are not expensive at all. Loss of lights won't immediately kill anything, but loss of circulation and therefore oxygen will very quickly kill things especially fish.

I've heard (from Gresham a long time ago) not to attach air stones to them, but just use rigid plastic tube to get big bubbles. I don't know if one way is better than the other for getting air into the tank, seems to me that without the air stone, you can place the output deeper in the tank. But who can say.

V

I figure I get something nicer I can use for camping as well. $260 for 32aH lithium battery is not too bad. Of course like you said, if I go with SLA or other battery type, the cost can be much lower, but bulkier.

Well real quick you can buy some Penn Plax B11 battery powered air pump. I'll give an Amazon link, but shop around;

They use two D-cell batteries and will run probably at least 8 hours or longer. They are simply battery powered air pumps that you plug into the wall and they detect if power is lost to the wall outlet. If it is, then they kick on. They are about as loud as you'd expect for air pumps, but I like this because if a breaker trips, they will go off and you can hear them.

As for lights and real pump circulation, I can't really say, but to very quickly get a backup circulation system in place, these work and are not expensive at all. Loss of lights won't immediately kill anything, but loss of circulation and therefore oxygen will very quickly kill things especially fish.

I've heard (from Gresham a long time ago) not to attach air stones to them, but just use rigid plastic tube to get big bubbles. I don't know if one way is better than the other for getting air into the tank, seems to me that without the air stone, you can place the output deeper in the tank. But who can say.

V
I do have a 2D battery air pump. Doesn’t push out too much air . Worried it’s not enough for a 65g tank .

start it up for 5-10 minutes once a month.
I bought a generator 13 years ago to power our freezer in case the power went out since that freezer held all the breast milk for when my kids were babies. The generator is still in the box in my shed. I think since I've never put gas in it, it should be OK. However, I don't think I even have proper connections for it, it's got an RV plug outlet, I think I need to get a normal house three pronged outlet convertor.

I should get one.

V

I bought a generator 13 years ago to power our freezer in case the power went out since that freezer held all the breast milk for when my kids were babies. The generator is still in the box in my shed. I think since I've never put gas in it, it should be OK. However, I don't think I even have proper connections for it, it's got an RV plug outlet, I think I need to get a normal house three pronged outlet convertor.

I should get one.

V
Just please don’t backfeed it into your electric dryer circuit. A lot of people do that and it’s illegal. What happens is they forget to turn off the main breaker power from pge and cause a electrical fire. Even if you turn the main breaker off in a bind it’s still technically illegal.

also I doubt that old of a generator is the inverter type. Electronics are super sensitive, some
More than others when ran off a generator. It has to do with the SINE waves.

A inverter bassed generator is ideal but they are also limited to about 3500 watts peak and as far as I know only support 110 - 120v.

Back