Cali Kid Corals

BE REALLY CAREFUL WITH TANKS CLOSE TO YOU!

Just be careful with sunscreen in fish tanks thou. One of the reason so many Hawaiian corals are dying is due the sunscreen and the effect on the corals.

When working on tanks I dont think it's a good idea to have anything on your skin.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That was an old theory. The current thought is that it’s from global warming.

@enaldy was cleaning up my home office and garage... and thought of your comments. Lol. I need a full body rash guard, i think. My home office is more like a tanning room it seems... :D
(Ignore the mess... still work in progress)
20190915_191301.jpg

That too... but if you think about it, i was just there couple weeks ago, and everywhere I went so many people snorkeling and with a ton of sun block, well corals need that UV.

And if the sun block actually stick on them... well they are gone [emoji17]...

But the water warming up I know first hand how bad it can be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This is wrong. It is multifactorial. It’s not 1 theory take all.

Common sunscreens have been shown to harm corals. Also global warming appears to harm them. Related but separately temporary spike in temperature causes bleaching. Also runoff from human activity on land kills. Or having excess algae growing over them. Etc

Like we’ve all seen in our tanks, the first couple factors weaken the coral then the next kills it. Hard to tell which factor is the most harmful so you try to reduce all of them.

Back