Cali Kid Corals

Best way to reduce pod population?

Here's a pic... see the pod in the middle of the mouth? There's a bunch more inside the nem

20200317_163940.jpg

or could it be your nem is in poor health and they just eating it because it’s dying?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've seen the behavior in both cases.... Perfectly healthy nems that get stressed out over time due to the pods hanging around it. Usually starts after the nems expel their waste. The pods then swarm over the morsel and then stay around the mouth and tentacles picking on its slime and it... and goes into their mouths as well to pick at things. This usually stresses the nems and then it starts showing signs.

Typically, in that tank, it's only the large nems about 6"+ that get picked on...

I really don't notice a huge pod problem in my tanks with sand... perhaps coincidental but that problematic tank only has coral matrix rather than sand. Like a full tank pod hotel I suppose...

welp... pods have struck again... The natural route of deep cleaning my tank, removing all the crushed corals from the display area was goo dfor a few weeks... but they are back in full glory. Watched some literally tear at my BTAs.

time for the nuke bomb approach... and thankful for the internet. Found dosing guidelines to ivermectin for pods. And so happens that I also have old ivermectin lying around from treating one of my dogs who had mange. Though the meds are old so efficacy is a question but why waste, right?

CAUTION: As the paper indicates, this has not been used in SW. So miles may very but I am willing to experiment...

1588107462819.png

What about coral dip, like Bayer? Don’t know if it would be practical for your plans.
I need things at a large scale, unfortunately. And by large, i want to eliminate the entire pod population in that tank. Somewhere along the way the pods in that tank have learned that nems are tasty...and teaching it to other pods in that tank like chimps do.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back