Neptune Aquatics

Best webcam for tank?

Hey all,
What is everyone's experience with Webcams for viewing tanks? I've got a junk-o $10 webcam and it shows my tank as a washed out blue smear. Ideally I'd like something HD where you can adjust the color balance so things look proper.

Thanks!

I did some research, and it really depends on whether or not you want a PTZ (Point Tilt Zoom) camera w/HD or not.
The really good ones are super expensive, but it depends on whether or not if you can live without a PTZ or HD.

I use the Foscam line of cameras.

I use 3 of the foscams. 1 for the side of the tank, 1 for the sump, and one more that points into the living room. If you decide on a foscam, you can sign up on their website for their newsletters and deals. They send out deals and discounts through that.

PTZ is not a big deal for me. HD is definitely a must-have.
So color comes out pretty reasonable with those cameras?
I've got a high end logitech to try -- we'll see if that works well.
ANYTHING will be better than my $9 DealExtreme "high resolution" camera.

PTZ is not a big deal for me. HD is definitely a must-have.
So color comes out pretty reasonable with those cameras?
I've got a high end logitech to try -- we'll see if that works well.
ANYTHING will be better than my $9 DealExtreme "high resolution" camera.

I think the reefbuilder guys use Foscam or some similar camera, they seem to like it.

But yeah, those cheapy cameras you're wasting money.

Yeah I agree, when it comes to network enabled cameras, you get what you pay for.

@tygunn these are the ones I have:
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi9821w-megapixel-wireless-ip-camera.html
http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8909w-na-slim-mini-wireless-ip-camera-24.html

They've since come out with slightly higher resolution cameras, and they constantly update their firmware (software also) for security reasons.

I would say the color is the best you're going to get for a camera at that price range.

Yeah, I found the Foscams to be meh in general but for the price, not too bad. If you really want some nice video, you'll have to spend a pretty penny. I only know this because we're working on similar stuff at work. :)

I suspect for really good video I'd have to get into a DSLR or something.

I was aiming for two things: a decent camera to leave pointed at the tank, and a decent camera to use to do a live stream from the tank tours.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I suspect for really good video I'd have to get into a DSLR or something.

I was aiming for two things: a decent camera to leave pointed at the tank, and a decent camera to use to do a live stream from the tank tours.

i think the foscams will be just fine

Being IP cameras I don't know if the foscam would work for a hangouts use case. But for the tank looks reasonable

Back