Our mission

bfirecat's IM 25g Lagoon

Hey everyone,

Transferred everything over from the 14g to the 25g.

Reef equipment:
IM 25g Lagoon
Kessil A360x + Reef Brite LED
Upgraded MightyJet
Icecap Skimmer
Carbon + Phosguard
Sicce Powerhead

Livestock:
1 O. Clown
4 Chromis
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
Assorted Snails
Assorted Crabs

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image6.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg

I am very interested in seeing more about your setup as this is the tank I want to convince my mom to get. It fits a low area and has a nice size to it. Also, very healthy looking corals!

Last edited:
I have an Icecap nano skimmer. Love it but have to replace the pump every 6-12 months.

I like the sicce powerhead but might consider upgrading to a Nero 3 or MP10 eventually.

GHL 2.1 doser using All for Reef, dosing 8ml daily. Works amazing.
Dosing 1 ml of KZ lps aminos daily manually
Dosing 1 ml of Brightwell aminos daily manually
Dosing 5 ml of KZ coral systems weekly

Apex monitoring ph and temp.

Smart ATO for the ato, really like it.

Swapped out the regular return nozzle for a random flow generator nozzle, still waiting for a second one but love it as well.

Things I am trying to figure out:
Par numbers with the added reef brite

Corals looked terrible today.
Tested all parameters:
Alk: 170ppm
Calcium: 500
Magnesium: 1500
Phosphate: .06
Nitrate: 1

Salinity was showing as 35 on the Hanna checker, however, after calibration, it showed 37...
Did a water change and got the salinity back to 35.

Hoping the corals can recover....

One of the torches started to brown jelly and a couple of frogspawn heads died.
Changed out the carbon and did a water change.

For the brown jelly, I went with this method to try and save the other head:
  1. Rinse the infected corals vigorously to remove as much of the jelly as possible. This is best done with a turkey baster. Discard the contaminated water and repeat several times to remove as much “jelly” as possible.
  2. Prepare a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide (3%) to 20 parts tank water and place the infected specimens in the container (approximately 12mL hydrogen peroxide in 8oz tank water). You should notice bubbles beginning to form on the heads of the coral.
  3. Set a timer for four minutes
  4. Gently swish or spray the solution onto the affected corals every minute or so.
  5. At the end of the four minutes, discard the hydrogen peroxide solution and place the coral in a new container of fresh tank water. Swirl this container to ensure adequate contact between the fresh water and the remaining hydrogen peroxide
  6. Transfer dipped frags to a QT or place in the tank away from other corals for observation.
Hoping to just keep parameters stable and see how it goes from here.

Good and bad news.
Looks like brown jelly has stopped, the other half of the head of the torch is still kicking.
Bad news, about 60% of the euphyillia still look super deflated.

The torch that had the brown jelly is completely dead.

Tank is very cloudy and about half the euphyillia are still very unhappy.

A diatom bloom started as well, I assume the Cipro killed off a ton of bacteria.
Been dosing Microbacter7 and Microbacter Clean to help with the tank bacteria and hoping it doesn't crash.

Yeah, I did a 20% water change.
Tank is still cloudy and the diatoms keep coming.
Algae growth is also high. However, the torches are extending a bit more now and the other euphyillia are starting to extend (although still very contracted).

Mushrooms and ricordia still look unhappy as well.

Water started clearing up today.
One of the euphyillia bleached, a neon yellow wall hammer.
Colors have dulled on all euphyillia.

So far, only lost one dragon soul torch and a few heads of another frogspawn.

Back