High Tide Aquatics

BioCube 29 Pump Recommendation?

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Second incident of a BTA walking into a powerhead (nonlethal) despite double cage, so I need to go PH-free.
Anybody have a good experience with a certain pump in a BC 29? Stock pump seems too low flow. Thought a Locline Y with two random flow generators would be good. I have never used an adjustable flow pump but am open to it.

RFG's only work if you push high velocity through them. May want to oversize a bit since it's your only source of flow.

I think DC adjustable is what you'll want because you'll need to find the sweet spot where you get enough throughput to activate the RFG's but don't create a storm in the tank or overwhelm the overflow.

I have an 500gph IM mighty jet and it's a good little pump but i have two jebaos of different sizes too and they work just as well.

For the price of one IM 500gph, you can buy two 660gph jebaos and have a spare. Or one jebao and keep the stock pump (or a $16 maxijet 1200) for emergency and pocket the difference. That's what I'd do.

RFG's only work if you push high velocity through them. May want to oversize a bit since it's your only source of flow.

I think DC adjustable is what you'll want because you'll need to find the sweet spot where you get enough throughput to activate the RFG's but don't create a storm in the tank or overwhelm the overflow.

I have an 500gph IM mighty jet and it's a good little pump but i have two jebaos of different sizes too and they work just as well.

For the price of one IM 500gph, you can buy two 660gph jebaos and have a spare. Or one jebao and keep the stock pump (or a $16 maxijet 1200) for emergency and pocket the difference. That's what I'd do.
But are your Jebaos in-tank powerheads? I have a Jebao and an old Tunze in there now, which my nems have gone into twice.

@CaptainB I went with that pump which fits fine in my return compartment with the safety cage on. Took some silicone to get it to fit my return tubing, but Friday I installed it with the RFG Y and was blown away by the flow! Definitely do not need powerheads anymore. Since I currently have a lot of some sort of short GHA which comes off the rocks easily, I had a clear visual of the flow pattern. Wow! It looked like an underwater hurricane in there but I felt it and the flow is gentle. That pump is silent, too. I will be checking out the pump adjustment next week. So happy the nems are now safe from impellers. I appreciate the recommendations in this thread - all seemed like fine options.

Back