Neptune Aquatics

Biocube 32

I have an un-setup system with 3 (yes 3) membranes
that may be overkill and also may not work as efficiently as you might think if you're not able to maintain a good constant pressure for each membrane. I would consider 2 at most if you insist on it. Should be shooting for that 70-80psi constant pressure.
and 3 clear cups, trying to decide if i should get the expansion 2 more DI canister cups for $30
Yes! Go with 3 DI canisters. You will have cleaner TDS for much longer. Your first two will get smoked fairly quickly, buy that 3rd one last significantly longer. I'm using cation and anion in my first two and mixed bed in the 3rd.

I would also consider adding an additional method to flush the freshly made RO before your first DI canister. Just to eliminate the inevitable high TDS that will get through during startup and even after an initial system flush. Doesn't take long but it will extend the life of your resin.

that may be overkill and also may not work as efficiently as you might think if you're not able to maintain a good constant pressure for each membrane. I would consider 2 at most if you insist on it. Should be shooting for that 70-80psi constant pressure.

Yes! Go with 3 DI canisters. You will have cleaner TDS for much longer. Your first two will get smoked fairly quickly, buy that 3rd one last significantly longer. I'm using cation and anion in my first two and mixed bed in the 3rd.

I would also consider adding an additional method to flush the freshly made RO before your first DI canister. Just to eliminate the inevitable high TDS that will get through during startup and even after an initial system flush. Doesn't take long but it will extend the life of your resin.
The system i got has 2 membranes + the one from RO buddy (which is a standard canister and takes standard membrane). I can just discard one or put in box until a booster pump one day or something

Latest testing update
08/22/2024

Tested after water change
Daily dosing increased to 10mil afr
(* will try to back down to 8-9 mil daily following thesw results)

Alk 9.2 - hanna
Calc 431 - hanna
Mag 1050 - salifert
Po4 0.26 - hanna

08/22/2024
Corrective dose ESV B-ionic Mag

Recommended dose from reef calcaulator to raise Mag from 1050 - 1325
825mil,27.8 fl oz., 165 Tsp

Amount actually dosed: 200 mil
(As a precaution I divided the total sugguested amount by 4.)

08/23/2024
Mag 1170 - salifert

**Maximum recommend daily dose not to exceed 100mil difference per day.**

My overnight change reflects 120mil difference. - I will dose slightly less for the next adjustment.
(I suspect I'm still within the safe range due to estimates I made interpreting the test chart)

Overall Thoughts:
I'm very pleased with the above ranges excluding the magnesium. (It still shows a downwards trend)

I'm not chasing specific numbers just aiming to stay within idle ranges.

I'm hoping that if I finally get mag into ideal range 1300-1400 it'll be easier to hold alk and calc stable long term as well. However If the result was 1250, I wouldn't be trying to adjust anything either.

Last edited:
Sps growth comparsion
July:
20240419_205000~2.jpg

A few of the orginal sps were lost months back when my dosing routine was breifly paused causing levels to get out of range for a few weeks.
20240801_220230.jpg
20240712_221822.jpg

Walt disney top left, top right pc rainbow, bottom also pc rainbow
Now:
20240831_110333.jpg

Top far left yellow tips, top far right unknown acro colony.
20240831_111812.jpg
20240831_110346.jpg

Left to right pc rainbow, cali cali tort, vivid confetti nub, and green slimer

There is noticble growth difference from than to now.

20240831_112923.jpg

Green slimer (right) and cali cali tort(left) are getting very close to the base of each other as they continue to encrust. (In fairness something I was warned about.) The bad thing is they were both removed from frag plugs and are encrusting directly the rock structure.)
20240831_114918.jpg

I'm not sure how to but, I would prefer to move the green slimer and not the cali cali. I will possibly remove the Gorgonian and shifting slimer that direction but on a plug or smaller tile plate so it's easier to move in the future.

I'm open to suggestions how to move it with minimum damage to it before they actual touch and one suffers from it?

Last edited:
Either let them fight it out or use bone cutters to remove one and put that in your larger tank. Problem with small tanks is that you really can't let more than a handful of corals grow out before they touch.

Either let them fight it out or use bone cutters to remove one and put that in your larger tank. Problem with small tanks is that you really can't let more than a handful of corals grow out before they touch.
I agree with size limitations of the tank, moving just over half of the euphyllia to
65 has opened up a more space.

The 65 has entered the diatom phase as of 2 days ago. I wanna move my maroon clowns and more euphyllia/nems to bigger tank but not before ugly stage starts to fade, and i'm able to stock the other fish in it as well. The maroons also won't let me mount anything new on the rock structure in this tank.

They are my favorite fish, and favorite hammers hence my nervousness to move them. I wanna ensure the 65 is running seemlessly first i'd be very sad if something happened to them.

My initial thought just cut it at base.
Your response leaves me to assume there is no way to like scrap it up with razor blade or something similar to attempt to save the bulk of encrusting portion of the green slimer?

It probably will crumble on all of the parts that encrusted. Not worth trying to grab any bits left behind since they usually get burned by the super glue.

I honestly would keep a tank that's only the maroons and nems so you don't have to worry about the nems killing your corals.

It probably will crumble on all of the parts that encrusted. Not worth trying to grab any bits left behind since they usually get burned by the super glue.

I honestly would keep a tank that's only the maroons and nems so you don't have to worry about the nems killing your corals.
The Maroons are to big for the current tank. I have another pair of clowns I will add to this one once I swap them out. If the nems ever become a problem, I'll get rid of them and pass them on. If the nems move it's much easier for me to move corals around in the 65. This tank I can't currently move anything with it's limited space and large center rock structure. Nems have been on their own rock structure and haven't moved since I had them. So it's currently easy for me to take out the nem structure.

Thanks, for the clarification; I figured as much on the encrusting portion. I was just being hopeful there was a way.

Back