Jestersix

BlueCheese3's first tank: Red Sea reefer 250

I’m trying to understand your situation. Did the clown fish go over your overflow and down the return line?

They do make various types of screens to stop larger objects from entering the plumbing.
Oh, I understand now. I like to have the locline adjustable plumbing. They make a piece that goes on the end to direct and flatten the flow. I direct it right at the surface so that the siphon breaks almost immediately.

I’m trying to understand your situation. Did the clown fish go over your overflow and down the return line?

They do make various types of screens to stop larger objects from entering the plumbing.

When I turn off my return pump, the return line starts to siphon down into the sump. Since the Red Sea tanks have a large return nozzle (?) into the tank, it sucked a fish in while it was siphoning before I broke the siphon by moving it above the water line.
C946C585-F57C-4C53-8928-6477C757FA83.jpeg
(Note I keep the return nozzle below the waterline in order to pump water into the tank rather then into any people passing by, this was just for photo purposes)

Good news and bad news for today's update.
Good news: Nitrate is coming down (~10 ppm), I can see the chaeto pearling which I'm pretty sure is a good sign, and I'm using a toothbrush and filter socks to manually remove the cyanobacteria from the tank. Going to continue to do this for several days.
Bad news: The yellow tang has ich/velvet. He's eating well, and has very few spots, one massive one on his side (about the size of the tip of a small ballpoint pen), a couple others on his body that are barely visible, and about 5 on each of his pectoral fins. Noticed yesterday afternoon. Should I do a hyposalinity or copper treatment? Neither of the clowns have it, and it seems like a fairly minor case.

Due to real life crap taking over, the tank, and moreso websites like this have been pushed to the back burner. I have a few new updates from the last couple months:

Nitrates are consistently >5 ppm, phosphates are still undetectable.
KH is always somewhere between 8-8.3. Today it was at 8.1
Calcium is always around 440.
About a month and a half ago I got some more LPS and tried an easy SPS pack
- Some sort of red/yellow blasto, doing great
- "Yellow star favia", doing great
- The purple stylophora has been doing great (except for the patch of one of the branches that died early on for no apparent reason) with impressive polyp extension and some growth onto the rock.
- The pocillipora has died.
- The mysterious brown sps that I can't identify (I think it might also be a stylo but I can't tell) is doing so so, with about half the polyps consistently extended.
- A portion of the jason fox stylo has died but the other portion has grown onto the rock, but overall this frag is looking so-so.

Also, my hammer grew a new head, which was quite exciting. All of the Zoas continue to grow.

The disease on my yellow tang turned out to be Lymphocystis, which they survived no problem with slightly increased feedings. It had no effect on any of my clownfish.

The Cyano is definitely receding, although there is still 2 large patches of it, one on the sandbed and one on the rocks and it will cover the glass often. However, I noticed red planaria all around the tank a few days ago. I picked up a yellow coris wrasse to hopefully slow the problem, although he is currently residing in the sandbed. If they fail to do the job I will look into various chemical solutions but I would like to avoid those if possible.

Once the planaria issue is resolved I hope to get more LPS, they seem to do the best in the tank so far (other then the zoas, but I already have too many of those lol).

IMG_9939.JPG IMG_9940.JPG IMG_9941.JPG

How do you know it was lynphocystitis?

I can’t find any pics, but it was one large white pimple/bump thing that looked like a raspberry. The only disease I could find online that looked like it was lynphocystitis. There were no other apparent symptoms other then this bump and the smaller ones which disappeared a few days after my last post.

Despite the new wrasse, the planaria were starting to really take over, so I decided to get a little bit more aggressive with a flatworm eXit treatment. I did all the recommendations on the package, siphoned out all of the visible planaria, had about 20 gallons of mixed water on hand, a full carbon reactor ready at a push of a button. I dosed, siphoned out all the floaters, did a water change, and everything was fine. No losses in terms of livestock, and all the planaria are gone. I might to do another dose in a week or so depending on if the wrasse decides to start pulling his weight, but I need to get some more carbon first because I used almost all of the carbon I had.

I saw an extended polyp on the "dead" pocillipora, so I moved it to the sandbed and it started to come back to life. It isn't 100% yet, but I think I may have been blasting it with too much light, and it looks like it is on the way to recovery.

Not much else to update with, I plan to get a few more frags once a week passes and I'm completely planaria free. In terms of fish I've been looking around for a couple red firefish, but none of the stores seem to have them due to stocking issues, so no new fish for me until some of those show up.

Back