Kessil

Camera Lens Rental

Blaise006

Supporting Member
Hi all,

Recently just got a T1i Rebel Canon. I was curious if anyone had a 100mm f2.8 macro lens I could rent for a few hours before I purchase one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

Recently just got a T1i Rebel Canon. I was curious if anyone had a 100mm f2.8 macro lens I could rent for a few hours before I purchase one.

100mm will be pretty tight on a crop sensor camera unless you’re taking pictures in the lower 1/4 of your tank (assuming around a 20-24” depth). Might want to consider a 60mm f/2.8 macro EF-S.

100mm will be pretty tight on a crop sensor camera unless you’re taking pictures in the lower 1/4 of your tank (assuming around a 20-24” depth). Might want to consider a 60mm f/2.8 macro EF-S.

Apologies, still in the early stages of learning about this I thought 100mm would allow more detail on a subject further away? When I researched it online I was presented with this image. Would love some advice.

The corals are roughly 9-15inches from the front glass.

c14db0bf4461aaffe2e8f6024ec1a10a.jpg

Shooting further away from tank is okay for side shots with any lens assuming you have space to back up enough to "zoom" in or out as needed with your feet. Though, you'll get better shots with no reflection and glare if you press the lens (with lens hood) against the glass so that the lens is perfectly parallel. I'd be more concerned if you start taking top down through a view finder.

Here are some comparative pictures using a sensor with a 1.5 crop factor (the rebel is 1.6, I believe, so the resulting image would have slightly less field of view).

edit: oops. I don’t know what I was thinking, my camera does have a 1.6x crop factor, not 1.5. So the Rebel would see the same field of view.

60mm (coral in middle of tank - 9-10" from water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9212.jpg

100mm (coral in middle of tank - 9-10" from water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9213.jpg

60mm (coral on sand bed - 19" water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9211.jpg

100mm (coral on sand bed - 19" water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9210.jpg

60mm (coral on sand bed - 19" water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9207.jpg

100mm (coral on sand bed - 19" water line)
60mm_vs_100mm_20210111_9208.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for this. Might be really cool to put together a photo education event for the club when Covid is over. I would love to learn how to take pictures like this.

Thanks for this. Might be really cool to put together a photo education event for the club when Covid is over. I would love to learn how to take pictures like this.

They had one. Sadly it was a week before I joined this group...

Bummer, I missed it too.

Just demand that Rolf @Corallus do another one. He’s a nice guy...

I'd be happy to do this again! Last time, @Squist did a great job coordinating, maybe we can try to set something up again. And when I see pics like what @RandyC just posted, I'm guessing there are others who could add to the conversation ;) .

I think Samy's Camera still does gear rentals here in SF, if you want to test drive something pricey like a nice lens before buying.

I'd be happy to do this again! Last time, @Squist did a great job coordinating, maybe we can try to set something up again. And when I see pics like what @RandyC just posted, I'm guessing there are others who could add to the conversation ;) .

I think Samy's Camera still does gear rentals here in SF, if you want to test drive something pricey like a nice lens before buying.

That would be awesome!

Back