Reef nutrition

Can’t win

Red Sea prime 16
9104A89E-31E5-4A9B-BC57-D1A46BA2B645.png

Attachments

• 223A4D0A-B5E7-48FB-9880-47733C0EFE7D.png
    223A4D0A-B5E7-48FB-9880-47733C0EFE7D.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 141
I use Brightwell NeoNitro to supplement nitrate. I like using things made for the reef hobby because I know there won’t be weird contaminants in a future batch, and they come with clear instructions for reef use. And unless you starting using it by the gallon in the future there isn’t a significant cost difference. Lots of people use the DIY supplements successfully, I’m just stating my preference and what I’d suggest for someone just starting to dose something.

Feeding more will give you more phosphate as well as nitrate by the way. Depending on your target values you probably don’t want to keep boosting your phosphate levels higher. If you supplement nitrate without adding more phosphate, it will gradually bring the phosphate level down.

The reason why zero nitrates promotes Cyanobacteria is because they are one of the few organisms in our tanks that can fix N2 gas from the air into ammonia, which they then consume as an alternative to nitrate. This gives them an unfair advantage against other surface colonizers when nitrate is zero, since everything needs some form of fixated nitrogen to grow.

I use Brightwell NeoNitro to supplement nitrate. I like using things made for the reef hobby because I know there won’t be weird contaminants in a future batch, and they come with clear instructions for reef use. And unless you starting using it by the gallon in the future there isn’t a significant cost difference. Lots of people use the DIY supplements successfully, I’m just stating my preference and what I’d suggest for someone just starting to dose something.

Feeding more will give you more phosphate as well as nitrate by the way. Depending on your target values you probably don’t want to keep boosting your phosphate levels higher. If you supplement nitrate without adding more phosphate, it will gradually bring the phosphate level down.

The reason why zero nitrates promotes Cyanobacteria is because they are one of the few organisms in our tanks that can fix N2 gas from the air into ammonia, which they then consume as an alternative to nitrate. This gives them an unfair advantage against other surface colonizers when nitrate is zero, since everything needs some form of fixated nitrogen to grow.
I just got back from lfs sold me some drops called phosphate Rx and bought two cardinals to bring up bioload so will see what happens I am learning as I go I am a complete newbie

Be careful with the phosphate rx.

You want to either dose it directly into a filter sock or some sort of dense filter media. Melevsreef has a really good video on the stuff. You can also look up lanthanum chloride dosing.

Its also likely overkill.

If your tank is only 3 months old it just needs to mature.

And if you don't have any clean up crew, go to reefcleaners and buy one. They have pre packed crews based on tank size. I just got done ordering a huge pile of snails from them, personally. Spent like $80 shipped on a huge pile of cleaners.

Update on green slime
Added a pj cardinal nitrates slowly going up
And phosphates slowly going down
With some phosphate rx
Took all advice did a combo of all lol
Thanks again

Dose NaNO3... food /lab grade from Amazon .

Can also use Spectracide stump killer. KNO3. Has potassium , if you have low potassium.

Sodium nitrate is better though imo
I purchased this spectracide stump killer basically because it's practically pure potassium nitrate so I could perform a few experiments I've seen on YouTube... It works fantastically melted in a 60/40 ratio or this and white sugar. I plan to make a few smoke bombs, fuses and rockets just for amusement. I've already made a batch just to see it in action and I was very impressed and because it emits oxygen when burned it not only burns hot and fast but will burn in almost any condition. Now as far as a stump remover I couldn't say but I'd imagine it would work rather well lol.

Back