Cali Kid Corals

Changing the House's flooring

yngplo

Supporting Member
Hi everyone,

I just found out recently that my family is trying to change the flooring in our house. I wanted to ask, what should I do about the livestock and coral in my tank in the meantime? Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

You can move the tank with lowering water to half, and add dolly under to move the tank to a new location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Need a lot more info first. Tank size? Why kind of flooring are they putting in? Is it a one day job? Can you move the tank to a different room for a day?

This. I would also add, what are they demoing? For example, going from Carpets to pergo is no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a lot more info first. Tank size? Why kind of flooring are they putting in? Is it a one day job? Can you move the tank to a different room for a day?

It’s gonna be a one or two day job. I have a 50 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. I’m planning on putting my tank in another room until this project is completed. I was looking into ways that would be the least stressful for the system

This. I would also add, what are they demoing? For example, going from Carpets to pergo is no big deal.

It’s gonna be wood flooring, we’re just updating the floors in my house lol

What ashburn said is a good approach. I would likely drain as much as possible(maybe as much as 75%) into a Rubbermaid bin or two, and get it on a dolly or two and fill it back up. Use it as a chance to do a large water change. I hope there is no stairs.

Is it prefinished wood flooring? Meaning just slap it all together? Or is it raw wood where they're going to sand it all down afterwards, then finish it with a coating? If it's just buy a bunch of boxes of the stuff put it down, tada we're done, then unless the flooring is going under where the tank is I wouldn't worry, maybe put a cloth over the top to prevent any construction debris from getting in there. If they're going to sand the floors down and then finish them, then that's where issues could arise.

Back