High Tide Aquatics

Chloramine removal media replacement

Zero Gravitas

Supporting Member
Hey guys, I’m trying to buy bulk Carbon to replace the media in the chloramine removal stages of my RO system. My question is what kind of carbon should I use? I’ve been buying the chloramine blaster kit replacement that comes with the housing, and I’m looking for a cheaper option.
Thank you.

I know they’re not all the same but I’m not sure which is best for chloramine.
They are not the same, no.
I generally believe the better they are in general, the better they are for Chloramine. No special chemistry.
So a premium one is better than a cheap one.
On the other hand, if you replace a cheap one more often, it might be the same as a premium, because we trickle water through so slowly.

Another consideration : Dust.
Some produce a ton of dust, which will clog filters down the line, and even RO membrane.

Another consideration: Do you run carbon in your tank?
Buying in bulk saves money. If you use the same thing, it saves.

That link = $114 for 4 pounds. (So $430 for 15 pounds)
BRS = $80 to $200 for 15 pounds, depending on what quality you want.

I think the reason that the one at that Amazon link is so high is because it is catalytic activated carbon. Which appears to be a lot more expensive in general online. They don’t seem to sell it at bulk reef supply. I did find a definition for catalytic activated carbon here;

“Catalytic carbon is a class of activated carbon used to remove chloramines and hydrogen sulfide from drinking water.

It has all the adsorptive characteristics of conventional activated carbons, as well as the ability to promote chemical reactions.

Catalytic carbon is created by altering the surface structure of activated carbon. It is modified by gas processing at high temperatures to change the electronic structure and create the highest level of catalytic activity on carbon for reducing chloramine and H2S in water. This added catalytic functionality is much greater than that found in traditional activated carbons. Catalytic carbon is an economical solution to treat H2S levels as high as 20 to 30 ppm.”

Not sure how much more effective it is. But I have seen, online.., people recommending it over regular carbon for reef water filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting. Could have sworn I bought some from BRS before.
Although I do see that the BRS universal carbon block is catalytic carbon.

The key is that chloramine is difficult to break down, but it must be broken down into chlorine before the chlorine can then be removed by the carbon. The filters made for this are more expensive, and labeled as for chloramine. From your description it sounds like this is catalytic carbon but I don’t know that for sure.

I use the BRS universal carbon block, have 2 in series. It is relatively cheap and lasts a long time. I don’t see why you’d want to use bulk carbon, especially since the way it is packed is important to how well it works. How will you know if you don’t pack it perfectly and there is channeling, bypassing most of the carbon?

BRS discontinued the bulk cat carbon? Just used it when we changed media
IMG_5598.jpg

I guess they must’ve discontinued it because I can’t find it under catalytic carbon, or catalytic activated carbon... I think I’m sufficiently convinced to just buy the prepackaged housed version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back