got ethical husbandry?

Clam receding

Lol why it has to be extream.
I never said bake it. I said they like moderate to high light.
These animals live on shores so they get the high end of the spectrum.
But at the same time, my understanding is that you do not want to have it om rocks because it might move while it open and drop or even injure its foot, or its mantel.

And yes, flow is big factor with clams, high or direct flow will bother them...

I will stop adding comments to this post to avoid confusing you.good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know you never said bake it...that’s what klems said... it’s all good.

Given what I see here I’d say insufficient light is the likely cause.
I have one less than a foot under an XR30 right now, you aren’t going to over-light it (debate if light acclimation is needed, but in your case I vote no, this guy is getting close to the end).
You want it to be in a stable location so it doesn’t fall if it moves around a bit, but the clam doesn’t know if it’s on a ledge, an extra sturdy frag rack, or the bottom of your tank. Some may prefer sand vs a hard substrate, but that is secondary to needing light.
My vote is to move it to the highest light area of your tank that you can. If for some reason you have a spot with a PAR value in the 600+ range we can debate baby steps, but given what I know so far this seems less likely.
You may have to move a coral or rock to make space, but the coral will survive at 120 PAR for a while until you figure things out. This guy probably won’t.

P.S. That’s some impressive coralline growth on the shell. Does the mantle normally extend past that point?

If it doesn’t react to you, doesn’t open, and isn’t attached anymore, it’s likely a goner.

Not enough light is probably the most common problem with clams. We usually keep them on the sand but they like SPS level PAR. It’s tough In my experience.

Also I’ve read about (and experienced) clams from Live Aquaria and some other major importers doing ok initially and then dying for unclear reasons. Where is it from?

Given what I see here I’d say insufficient light is the likely cause.
I have one less than a foot under an XR30 right now, you aren’t going to over-light it (debate if light acclimation is needed, but in your case I vote no, this guy is getting close to the end).
You want it to be in a stable location so it doesn’t fall if it moves around a bit, but the clam doesn’t know if it’s on a ledge, an extra sturdy frag rack, or the bottom of your tank. Some may prefer sand vs a hard substrate, but that is secondary to needing light.
My vote is to move it to the highest light area of your tank that you can. If for some reason you have a spot with a PAR value in the 600+ range we can debate baby steps, but given what I know so far this seems less likely.
You may have to move a coral or rock to make space, but the coral will survive at 120 PAR for a while until you figure things out. This guy probably won’t.

P.S. That’s some impressive coralline growth on the shell. Does the mantle normally extend past that point?

Yes it was normally extended well beyond that area. Here is a pic from a couple months ago[emoji22]
44e35c2e2b4c5862b743f094fdade46d.jpg

If it doesn’t react to you, doesn’t open, and isn’t attached anymore, it’s likely a goner.

Not enough light is probably the most common problem with clams. We usually keep them on the sand but they like SPS level PAR. It’s tough In my experience.

Also I’ve read about (and experienced) clams from Live Aquaria and some other major importers doing ok initially and then dying for unclear reasons. Where is it from?

Yeah I figured it was my fault. Really sucks.

Cleaner shrimps are picking at it this am, I’m going to say it’s already gone[emoji22]

I had mine on the rock to get it closer to the light. It was doing great until it fell while I was on vacation. It’s foot had a very weak hold to begin with.

Clams should rest on the bottom.
Just have it under a visibilandgood light not hidden.also make sure flow is gentel..they do not like high flow...

Not completely true. Bottom is species specific I believe. Maxima's attach to rock and do very well low to mid in the tank. The reason you usually see them on the bottom is people are lazy, and it's easier to place one there. :) All of mine are on rocks a little higher up. I've had them as high as halfway up the tank on rock. Maxima's will attach to the bottom of the tank, but that's not their preference and don't do as well that way at times. Put it on a rock a third of the way up. If you have to grab some reef putty and make a clam cradle for a week or so, or just buy a clam cradle.

I had also never heard of putting maximas on the sand, but your reasoning seemed sound. I would think it would be very hard to get it the light and flow it would want on the sand bed.

"They are most common found in shallow lagoons and reef flats, and are typically embedded in sandy substrates or those composed of coral rubble."

"giant clams live on shallow reef flats down to depths of around 66 feet (20 m). "

"Found living on the surface of reefs or sand, or partly embedded in coral, the small giant clam occupies well-lit areas, due to its symbiotic relationship with photosynthetic algae"

So to summarise the documented natural habitat of giant clam wrt placment

- They live in shallow waters and lagoon reefs
- They like high light, hence they live in shallow and coral reef

Personally I think for home aquariums bottom placment is better for long term success ,IF, you have enough light.
I have a clam that been in my systems for 10 years and bit smaller than basketball size. It used to be 1/3 size when I got it 10 years ago. I also have 2nd one for 3 years just as healthy... They both on bottom in the same, happy and content.

If you have rock structure to support it go for it, it's just not easy finding such support structure in aquariums...at least mine.

My clam triple in size and if I have "glued" it to a rock or put putty on it to force it to be somewhere on the rock it would have died for sure by now..

My 2 cents

Last edited:
Well it’s dead. I came home today to find all the fish and shrimps having a feast. I took it out, gutted it, and put it back in the tank for the clean up crew to finish cleaning. I’ll use the shell to support some acros in the tank.

Sad day

Well it’s dead. I came home today to find all the fish and shrimps having a feast. I took it out, gutted it, and put it back in the tank for the clean up crew to finish cleaning. I’ll use the shell to support some acros in the tank.

Sad day
Am really sorry to hear.

Back