Reef nutrition

Club calibration thermometer?

JVU

President
BOD
Should we have a club thermometer? We are supposed to recalibrate heater thermometers and temperature probes every once in a while, but without a reference thermometer, you are either left averaging the values of multiple inaccurate thermometers, which isn’t confidence inspiring, or just guessing which to trust. Good ones that are NIST-traceable are more expensive than most people would buy since you’d use it only rarely. Seems analogous to a PAR meter in that respect.

I realize that exact accuracy in temp isn’t so important, it’s consistency. But still, it’s straightforward to get an accurate calibration if you have the right equipment. And if anyone else is like me, they don’t calibrate if they don’t have an accurate way to, so tank temp can drift over time, potentially dangerously.

I’ve never calibrated with one of these high-accuracy thermometers, but I would if I could borrow one. Not sure if enough other people would be interested to make it worthwhile.

Thomas brand is popular for this purpose, and I’ve seen this one recommended on several forums. Some mixed reviews on vendor sites. Note there are different models that look the same with various accuracies, the better one is +/- 0.2C and would be the one we’d want I think:

Same brand with +/-0.5C from BRS:

If anyone has experience with this thermometer or a suggestion for a better one, please share.

There is an expiration date on the calibration though. So keep that in mind that they will need to be sent out to be recalibrated or replaced after expiration date.

There is an expiration date on the calibration though. So keep that in mind that they will need to be sent out to be recalibrated or replaced after expiration date.
Yes, that is one of the main reasons why it makes more sense to have 1 good one that a bunch of people share. It is the NIST-traceable certification and occasional recalibration that makes it accurate.

Back