Jestersix

Complete Bonus/Ultra Coral List - 2024 (Updated/ Finalized)

I bought three polyps of these about 1.5 years or so ago, for approx 100 USD at Cali Kid at the time. I have no clue of their name and if this actually qualifies as bonus coral?

The picture is showing the original plug, which fell off a couple of days ago, but I have two rocks in my nano tank covered with another 50 polyps or so.

View attachment 56644
Yodas seem like a reasonable lookalike; unfortunately, those would not qualify as bonus or ultra.

Thank you. I thought I saw them under the bonus zoa list. Maybe I misunderstood.
They were on the list, but going through and looking at current prices/availability/commonality, they've been removed. Some corals on the list are on the list due to inertia, and I haven't had the time or ability to go through and re-check every single one unless it's called to my attention.

They were on the list, but going through and looking at current prices/availability/commonality, they've been removed. Some corals on the list are on the list due to inertia, and I haven't had the time or ability to go through and re-check every single one unless it's called to my attention.
Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

In the main post you said:

Sponges are not valid frags and neither is almost any type of macroalgae, but can be brought for the freebie table.
  • The 'almost' is for caulerpa species, which are now illegal and carry a hefty fine to possess or sell in CA.

This is a little confusing. Caulerpa is the only disallowed macroalgae? Or, what is the exception macro that is allowed (and why are almost all disallowed)?

If Caulerpa spp. is the only disallowed type of macro, here's a question: I have a piece of blue hypnea, which is priced decently high and grows pretty slow, can I bring that as a bonus? TSA has priced it at $50 for a 1" ball, which is sort of in line with certain other corals. I also have not seen this at all in this club, and it should probably be in the hands of a reefer who is better at macroalgae than I.

Oh, and @IOnceWasLegend I have a few (I think) tank spawned splatter hammers. One of them might go to the swap. Is there a size requirement? Fully opened, it's a quarter in size. Is there a premium on spawned corals (bumped up 1 tier or something) or is it bonus?

This is a little confusing. Caulerpa is the only disallowed macroalgae? Or, what is the exception macro that is allowed (and why are almost all disallowed)?

If Caulerpa spp. is the only disallowed type of macro, here's a question: I have a piece of blue hypnea, which is priced decently high and grows pretty slow, can I bring that as a bonus? TSA has priced it at $50 for a 1" ball, which is sort of in line with certain other corals. I also have not seen this at all in this club, and it should probably be in the hands of a reefer who is better at macroalgae than I.

TSA prices are always inflated. I've seen the hypnea for $10 or less it's pretty common. https://cultivatedreef.com/product/blue-hypnea/ so I don't think it's an appropriate item to include as a frag.

The hammer you have would be considered a regular coral.

I thought it was evident given that possession of caulerpa is a crime. To clarify (and I've updated this in the post), macroalgae and sponges are not valid frags. They are valid to be given away as freebies, with the exception of caulerpa, since that will get you hit with a hefty fine in CA.

While aquacultured vs maricultured corals are something to strive for, we have no way of verifying whether this is the case or not, and it adds another layer of complexity on what's already a fairly busy process getting the bonus and ultra coral processed. So no, unfortunately that does not bump it up another tier. The size requirement is a single polyp/head of hammer; and again - not an exact science, the general criteria is, "Would I be able to recognize what I'm getting, and would I be happy receiving this as a frag?"

TSA prices are always inflated. I've seen the hypnea for $10 or less it's pretty common. https://cultivatedreef.com/product/blue-hypnea/ so I don't think it's an appropriate item to include as a frag.

The hammer you have would be considered a regular coral.
I see about the hypnea - I'll still bring it as a freebie for someone who can appreciate it more.

Splatter hammer is on the Bonus list? Is it regular because of size?

I thought it was evident given that possession of caulerpa is a crime. To clarify (and I've updated this in the post), macroalgae and sponges are not valid frags. They are valid to be given away as freebies, with the exception of caulerpa, since that will get you hit with a hefty fine in CA.

While aquacultured vs maricultured corals are something to strive for, we have no way of verifying whether this is the case or not, and it adds another layer of complexity on what's already a fairly busy process getting the bonus and ultra coral processed. So no, unfortunately that does not bump it up another tier.
Yes. I would never want to own caulerpa, even outside of it being illegal, especially with the news and reports of it spreading everywhere, including in our own bay.

And I get the nightmare of trying to make sure everyone who claims they've got spawned coral actually has spawned coral.

I'm heading to bed, so—unfortunately—there is now a cutoff on any further questions/additions for the bonus and ultra list for the 6/1 swap.

Reiterating, especially given tomorrow is going to be even busier tomorrow because we have 78 people swapping (with 118 people RSVPd), that we will not consider bonus/ultra corals tomorrow at check-in that are not on the list. It will be hectic and crazy and, unfortunately, we will not have time to do so.

Attachments

• IMG_8519.png
    IMG_8519.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
Apologies for the late notice---I may not get an answer before the swap: Does Vivid's Kaleidoscope Goni count for the bonus list? Here is a picture from the vendor. It looks much better in person. Looks nicer than my Amazeballs Goni albeit that specimen is still acclimating to my tank.

Picture: https://vividaquariums.com/products/kaleidoscope-goniopora-coral?variant=40665274417237
All goni’s qualify as at least bonus. The more expensive named ones can be ultra. I don’t think the pic associated with that link is correct, that looks like their purple Goni, and I’m assuming something named Kaleidoscope will have more than one solid color. If it’s a brighter multicolored named Goni it would normally quality as ultra, but Josh made the cutoff for new asks before your post.

Back