got ethical husbandry?

cookin' clam chowder tonight

This is so easy a clam could cook it! Try it and you might be surprised ;)

Ingredients
4 slices thick-cut bacon (about 4 ounces), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
1 large Spanish onion , diced medium (about 2 cups)
2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
3 (6.5-ounce) cans minced clams
1 cup water
3 medium boiling potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), scrubbed and diced medium
1 large bay leaf
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
Table salt and ground black pepper

Fry bacon in kettle over medium-low heat until fat renders and bacon crisps, 5 to 7 minutes. Add onion to bacon; sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour; stir until lightly colored, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in bottled clam juice, reserved clam juice from clams, and water. Add potatoes, bay leaf, and thyme; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Add clams, cream, parsley, salt (if necessary) and ground pepper to taste; bring to simmer. Remove from heat and serve.

Way better than any of the gloopy crap you get when you come out to the coast ;D

[quote author=seminolecpa link=topic=4913.msg59912#msg59912 date=1224559917]
Anything where you list Bacon first in the recipe has to be good!
[/quote]
Can't go wrong with Bacon

Mmmmmmm some nice crusty french bread or a hard sour roll :) We used to dig clams out inside the breakwater in HMB.. I think they were called martha washingtons or something like that.. Big old bastards.. Sashimi the necks and then use the rest for chowder... Mmmmmmm.. Now they have it all posted that the area is toxic due to all of the spilt fuel over the years from the fuel dock.. We'd get those giant moon snails or whatever they were called as well...

Hey Jeremy here is my recipe.. Mine doens't have bacon in it though :) I just substitute the canned clams for fresh or I sometimes use the clams from ranch 99 that are already shucked and boiled.. You can get a 1lb tray of whole clam meat for about $4-5.. I like them big:)

6 stalks celery Sliced
2 medium onions Pealed and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 quart chicken stock
Black pepper ground
1/2 teaspoon thyme Leaves, not ground up
1 1/2 pounds potatoes Diced, skin left on
9 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 quart half and half
1 quart clams coarseChopped
2 bottles clam juice (Use when I use the ranch 99 clams)
2 cans Gortons clams Canned (Optional)
1/4 cup sherry or Wine

Saute celery & onions in 2 Tbsp of butter for 10 minutes until opaque. Add to chicken stock. Add the clam juice, from the clams reserving the meat. Bring to a heavy simmer and add pepper and thyme. Add the potatoes (skin on) and simmer until cooked but still firm. While the potatoles are cooking in the soup, warm the half and half. Make a roux with the remaining butter and flour and when cooked, add the half and half slowly continuously mixing, off heat. Return to the heat and stir until thickened. Set aside. When the potatoes are just tender, add the clam meat. Cook for 2 minutes then add the roux and half and half sauce. Simmer for 8 minutes then add the sherry (or wine). Simmer for a couple more minutes, and get ready to eat :)

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=4913.msg59923#msg59923 date=1224563396]
Now they have it all posted that the area is toxic due to all of the spilt fuel over the years from the fuel dock.. We'd get those giant moon snails or whatever they were called as well...
[/quote]

Fecal coliform is the issue, Barbara's beach is one of the top three polluted beaches in the state, and home to Sea-Pure NSW :D

[quote author=fishnfst link=topic=4913.msg59967#msg59967 date=1224572945]
Hey Jeremy here is my recipe.. Mine doens't have bacon in it though :) I just substitute the canned clams for fresh or I sometimes use the clams from ranch 99 that are already shucked and boiled.. You can get a 1lb tray of whole clam meat for about $4-5.. I like them big:)

6 stalks celery Sliced
2 medium onions Pealed and chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 quart chicken stock
Black pepper ground
1/2 teaspoon thyme Leaves, not ground up
1 1/2 pounds potatoes Diced, skin left on
9 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
1 quart half and half
1 quart clams coarseChopped
2 bottles clam juice (Use when I use the ranch 99 clams)
2 cans Gortons clams Canned (Optional)
1/4 cup sherry or Wine

Saute celery & onions in 2 Tbsp of butter for 10 minutes until opaque. Add to chicken stock. Add the clam juice, from the clams reserving the meat. Bring to a heavy simmer and add pepper and thyme. Add the potatoes (skin on) and simmer until cooked but still firm. While the potatoles are cooking in the soup, warm the half and half. Make a roux with the remaining butter and flour and when cooked, add the half and half slowly continuously mixing, off heat. Return to the heat and stir until thickened. Set aside. When the potatoes are just tender, add the clam meat. Cook for 2 minutes then add the roux and half and half sauce. Simmer for 8 minutes then add the sherry (or wine). Simmer for a couple more minutes, and get ready to eat :)
[/quote]

BLASPHEMY....no bacon? I used apple wood smoked bacon from Coralitas Market :D

Try it with abalone one day, you'll thank me :) Ab chowder is the best :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4913.msg59988#msg59988 date=1224605719]
Try it with abalone one day, you'll thank me :) Ab chowder is the best :D
[/quote]

Sometimes I get naughty, and fill it with lobster, ab, crab, and other goodies, that is of course if I'm feeding a group.

Funny thing I used the applewood bacon lastnight from Piazzas :)

[quote author=Raddogz link=topic=4913.msg60033#msg60033 date=1224615889]
Does this stuff freeze well?

I'll probably finish it, but thought I'd ask
[/quote]

It sure does, I froze the rest last night, Bree and I could no way finish the pot, I'd still be waking up :D

Hahahah nice nice.. fecal coliforms suck ass literally :) I know they were having huge problems everytime it rained up in tomales.. Hmmmmm I have three fatty abs in my freezer as I type this.. I might have to try that ......

Back