Cali Kid Corals

Cool algae scraper for glass

Feeling a little lazy today while cleaning my 10g QT/Zoa tank, I grabbed my trusty bench scraper (for baking). All I can say is why didn't I think of that before, the thing is like 6" wide with a stainless blade and a plastic handle. The thing manhandled corraline. Anyway if you're interested you can pick them up at about any cooking store for ~$10. I do suggest going into industrial stores like County Supply in San Carlos, or the place on Seventh St. in S.F. (Discount?) so you don't have to pay the smug tax of shopping at a yuppie store.

Simple stuff, pizza every Thursday night for going on four years, I miss the old Philly style pizza from when I lived out there. Calzone, Foccacia, Wheat Loaf, Naan, basically I got far enough that I could make an acceptable baugette at home, then slowed down a bit as this hobby/business slowly becomes the cancer that eats all my spare time up.

What about you Norman?

I go through phases where I have to "perfect" a particular thing. Reefing really has cut into my baking time though.

French bread, baguettes, focaccia from starter. I was doing the no-kneading method with slow overnight rises on high hydration batter/dough. I was psycho to the point of taking the sponge to work so that I could babysit it and have it ready in time for me to bake when I took it home in the evening.

Genoise. I used it for a base to make European style rum cakes with rum syrup and pastry cream etc. When I was a kid, my family would get Italian rum cakes from Dianda's for b-day celebrations. Dianda's in SF makes awesome cakes and pastries. So, I had to figure out how to make rum cake.

Apple pie. Mainly as a way to practice making pastry dough. There was a bakery in SF Chinatown that made apple pie with the most awesome pie crust. Super flakey, but not hard. So that was another one that I had to figure out. With pastry dough, it's mostly technique, but also lard makes a big difference.

Apple frangipane tart. Mainly because I'm too lazy to make a properly crimped pie crust :D

Almond macaroons and chocolate version which is like a lumpy chocolate chocolate chunk cookie. I made those for a friend that had described to me her ultimate cookie fantasies.

We had a baking contest at work a month or so ago. There were categories for cakes, pies, and cookies. I entered all 3 with Daiquiri(strawberries & rum)cake, Chocolate dipped almond macaroons, and Apple Frangipane tart. They thought I was crazy for doing 3 entries, haha. There weren't enough pie entries, so that category got lumped in with the cakes. I ended up winning a 1st and a 2nd, hehe.

My god Norman I'm not the only one..... We need to be shipped to the OCD clinic. BTW I use 1/2 lard 1/2 butter in my pie crusts, and free form fold (like a tacobell crunch wrap with an open top), oh and it's coming into berry season I guess I'm cooking tonight!!!!

Hey Norm, speaking of apple pie, you aren't talking about the now defuncy Sun Wah Keh are you? Man, they had the best apple pies.

Okay bak on topic, I know Alvin sai dhe was using a big paint scraper.

Eileen, I think that's the bakery. Haven't been to Chinatown in ages. Haven't had that pie in ages either. That's my idea of the ultimate apple pie.

They had the cardboard pie plates? And the box would have oil stains from the crust? Wasn't greasy though. The crust was kind of like the ones on the little pastries they pass out for newlyweds?

Free frags to anyone that can show me how to duplicate that pie :D I can get close, but it's not quite there. Or maybe my memory is just bad :D

I think that's the same place. Pie box was alwarys white, like pizza boxes.

Flaky pie crust, mushy apple filling (yeah, I know it sounds gross, but it was delightful).

Norm, use lard rather than shortening is my best guess. I don't think anyone used shortening back then.

Back