got ethical husbandry?

Copper

I currently have a fish only tank, and am looking to move an anemone into the tank. Being that historically, this tank has had only fish, I have utilized ionic copper (Cupramine) in the past. I haven't added copper to the tank in at least 2-3 months now. There is about 10 lbs. of live rock, a very thin layer of substrate in the tank. Also, there is a skimmer running as well.

My concern is an obvious one -I do not want any copper in the tank when I move the sea anemone in. The skimmer would removed most, if not all, of the copper from the tank? Likely not, as the per the nature of copper, it adsorbs into the rocks and substrate. However, providing I replace all of the live rock, and remove all of the substrate, will copper still be existent in the aquarium? I could even drain the tank of all the water and refill if it is recommended. Is it necessary for me to tear down the tank, and rinse & bleach it? Does copper also leech into acrylic (aquarium is acrylic)?

Any advice is appreciated!

No copper will not leach into acrylic. Drain it, rinse it, refill it.

Rock and substrate only good for fish only system.

What about glass tanks then? I have this nice 30 gallon breeder that saw some copper (cupramine) for a day or two and has been sitting collecting dust out in the shed for too long. Always wondered if it was a one-way trip or not.

maybe i've been told wrong over the years but I have been told that once copper has been introduced to a tank that it never can used with corals. Have i been mis informed?

Back