got ethical husbandry?

Copperband Butterfly feeding when away?

JVU

President
BOD
My new Copperband Butterfly from Erin is doing great and eating well. Eats frozen Hikari mysis and LRS Reef Frenzy with gusto. Doesn’t seem interested at all in a variety of pellets and flakes I feed the other fish.

Wondering what dry (non-frozen) foods might be worth trying out to make feeding when I’m out of town easier? Has anyone had specific success?

I haven’t really seen it pick at stuff in rocks/sand though I have lots of bristleworms and other critters.

The drawback to freeze dried foods is it tends to float. This syringe trick works great:

With my Avast Plank auto feeder, I have it dispense into the mixing tube an hour before the mixing/dispensing pump turns on to give it time to soak.

I have a Plank feeder that I haven’t bothered to set up yet, this’ll be my motivation to do it now. That and that the badly designed Neptune one dumped a bunch of food in my tank again Sat.

The SF Bay mysis is great - very chunky, very cheap. Note that with the plank you need to run it for very long periods to get enough mysis to vend (I do like 1min+ each time). And if you try to mix pellets, the pellets will quickly settle to the bottom and then a shitload will come out w/ the long run times.

The "Reef Jerky" from Avast also has stuff my CBB eats, along with some other smaller particles. It's a lot more expensive though.

Reactions: JVU
My CBB eats freeze dried mysis. I soak it first, but I think it would work using the Plank or just dropping into a feeding tube.

Reactions: JVU
I have a Plank feeder that I haven’t bothered to set up yet, this’ll be my motivation to do it now. That and that the badly designed Neptune one dumped a bunch of food in my tank again Sat.
Let us know how it goes as someone who hasn't used one before. Might need to get one myself.

Back