High Tide Aquatics

Copperband Butterfly feeding when away?

No CBB. I do freeze dried because it seemed like the reef jerky had a good mix of particle sizes and would be a good way to feed a frag tank full of corals. Bonus points that the avast can be done from the sump. I added the extra mysis to make sure there were more significant sized pieces for the fish in the frag tank (foxface, tomini, melanarus). The jerky being pretty small.

I'd like to do the same to my display, instead of mostly tdo pellets, for similar reasons. Including keeping constant anthias feedings. However I've had very good success with TDO. My fish are chubsters and TDO is a majority of their feedings, beyond the occasional nori and even less occasional frozen mysis.

I really don’t want to have an extra feeder souly for the cbb dumping freeze dried down a tube that has a few holes at the end and is capped so only the ccb can reach lol.. Hopefully the fish will jump on board soon!!
Also adding for this, I think that's another possible benefit of the avast with freeze dried dumping into the sump. With that the food will come blasting out the return nozzle(s).

My expectation, and experience with my frag tank, is that helps ensure no one can be the sole eater (pun intended). They'd need to catch food blasting at max speed.

I've been trying some different options with freeze dried mysis and my plank feeder to make sure my CBB eats.
  1. Drum dispenses and mixing pump turns on at the same time. This results in a slow dispensing of food and most of it ends up floating to the surface again. Some fish eat it there, some don't
  2. Drum dispenses and waits an hour before the mixing pump turns on. This gives the freeze dried mysis time absorb water in the tube. Once the pump turn on 90% of the mysis sinks, is neutral buoyant, or gets eaten before it has a chance to float. This was still not ideal for my CBB because the mysis was being dispensed at a slow steady rate versus all getting dumped in at once (like I do with the syringe). With over two dozen fish and my CBB's behavior of inspecting food before eating it, it did not get many chances to grab food.
  3. SF Bay Brand mysis is a little chunky so I tried some other brand from eBay which had smaller size mysis. Using same dispense and mixing timing as #2, this mysis gets dispensed at a much faster pace once the mixing pump turns on. CBB is able to pick off more bits this way. Only negative with this smaller mysis is there's a lot of fine dust which I sift out before loading the plank drum.

Back