got ethical husbandry?

Coral pricing?

Srt4eric

Vice President
BOD
I know a lot of you sell coral from time to time. How do you guys come up with your prices? I've got some stargazers that I have offered up as dbtc and now I have some I want to sell. I have no idea what to even ask for them.

i dunno ive just been doing this for so long that I just kinda know, I know thats not very helpful lol. Just try to think what you would be willing to pay

If you are starting out or for unfamiliar pieces, search larger forums like R2R or ReefCentral...(or just google) just to get an idea...

I havent looked at any of the larger forums yet for prices. Good idea. When ever I google something and i see those prices from some of the online retailers it's just insane. I'd feel bad charging a 1/4 of some of their prices.

I havent looked at any of the larger forums yet for prices. Good idea. When ever I google something and i see those prices from some of the online retailers it's just insane. I'd feel bad charging a 1/4 of some of their prices.
Depending on what the piece is and how old or rare, the price maybe higher or lower than retailers. It's a good calibration check either way. Sometimes, I think something is low value (because I don't care about it, I guess... or wouldn't personally pay more) only to find out that the piece is in hot demand... and other times, vice-versa.

Case in point, I think "nexusbursts" are stupid and gimmicky, and wouldn't pay more than a rainbow BTA's price for it (esp since I know the original source of the nem... but that's a story for another day). But some people are willing to pay high end nem prices instead...

Mixture of: less than what I paid, anticipated willingness to pay, and prices from online vendors and other forums.

For coral that can’t be fragged like some lps I agree with Nelson

Something to keep in mind, is if you only sell locally that very well can drastically change how much you can get for corals.

But you said you feel bad charging even a 1/4 of the online prices, that's a good start. Find an area where you'll feel comfortable, 1/10th? 1/5th? and just go there.

Something to keep in mind, is if you only sell locally that very well can drastically change how much you can get for corals.

But you said you feel bad charging even a 1/4 of the online prices, that's a good start. Find an area where you'll feel comfortable, 1/10th? 1/5th? and just go there.

Pricing is hard.

As others have mentioned your goal matters a lot.

Because it’s self-propagating livestock also, many people’s alternatives is ‘wait until a DBTC or frag swap comes up’. So demand is wonky.

For example, I’m trying to price my chalice and had no idea where to start.

I first:
1) looked online for frags
2) did some multiplication based on how long chalice took to grow
3) asked for feedback

People here will tell you if you’ve priced too high. Probably not if you’ve priced too low ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a simple formula: what would I pay for this?
When I try to apply that it doesn’t work very well because by the time I’m selling it I either have too much of it or just don’t like it as much anymore, so I wouldn’t pay anything for it. Maybe that’s why I’m usually giving coral away lol

Back