Reef nutrition

Cowries in cuc?

I have a couple cowries, Monetaria annulus, and Monetaria moneta, in my 29gal. Has anyone kept these long term? Anyone tried other species of cowrie on a reef? I know a lot of cowries, like Cyprea tigris, are not reef safe.
A05D2AB3-C86C-4C07-9399-5B62DDB523E8.jpeg

I also have money cowries, and they are reef safe as you said. I’ve had some of the larger prettier ones over the years and eventually they all turned out not to be reef safe. It‘s a shame because I like them.

I also have money cowries, and they are reef safe as you said. I’ve had some of the larger prettier ones over the years and eventually they all turned out not to be reef safe. It‘s a shame because I like them.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear the moneys are reef safe long term. I’ve collected cowrie shells for quite some time, but find the live ones much more enjoyable. I‘ve seen tigers for sale on occasion. Been thinking about setting up an old 55gal for them, and other cool non-safe inverts.

Reactions: JVU
I have a gold ring one, like the one in your pic, that I've had for at least 5 years with no issues. Not sure how much algae it eats, but I do like seeing it and I don't think it's ever eaten something I don't want it to.

I have 5 that I collected from Hawaii 4 years ago and they are doing fine. They're called Cypraea caputophidii, Hawaiian Snakehead cowrie. They are noctornal thus I rarely see them. It doesn't really seem like they do any harm or any good.

I have 5 that I collected from Hawaii 4 years ago and they are doing fine. They're called Cypraea caputophidii, Hawaiian Snakehead cowrie. They are noctornal thus I rarely see them. It doesn't really seem like they do any harm or any good.
Very cool to have personally collected them, and have them thrive! They are a really pretty one. Appears that specie is included with Monetaria as well. Perhaps that contributes to their being reef safe.

I have the same, also collected from Hawaii. I had a gold ring cowrie in the past for about a year, but broke down that tank. Here's my Hawaiian cowrie with mantle extended.
1112210007a.jpg

Back