Kessil

Crazy winds- Backup power check

My power is out. My tank is cold (65), my pump is gonna run out of juice any minute and I’m out of battery backups and no way to charge them. I’m gonna lose some fish for sure.

Power and internet still down. I was worried about my powerwalls running out overnight so I ran my main tank off of my Tesla inverter hack I discussed before, and it worked great all night-

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/jvu’s-rsr750.24825/page-4#post-374381

Got down to 28% on my batteries. Sun is starting to shine on my solar and the first 0.1 kW is trickling in, so I’m hopeful it will recharge my batteries today. Still no idea how long I’ll be without power. I think a big power line was downed.

Comcast internet is still down. Their outage site says it isn’t. I’ve followed the steps to reboot the router etc multiple times. I tried to reach customer service last night for hours. Lots of obstructionist automated systems. I finally got to the point in a chat where they were going to schedule sending someone to come out to check and the chat “mysteriously” reset and I lost all progress.

My power is out. My tank is cold (65), my pump is gonna run out of juice any minute and I’m out of battery backups and no way to charge them. I’m gonna lose some fish for sure.
use several layers of blankets. I have a 3 battery air bubbler if anybody need some in San Jose

Power and internet still down. I was worried about my powerwalls running out overnight so I ran my main tank off of my Tesla inverter hack I discussed before, and it worked great all night-

https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/jvu’s-rsr750.24825/page-4#post-374381

Got down to 28% on my batteries. Sun is starting to shine on my solar and the first 0.1 kW is trickling in, so I’m hopeful it will recharge my batteries today. Still no idea how long I’ll be without power. I think a big power line was downed.

Comcast internet is still down. Their outage site says it isn’t. I’ve followed the steps to reboot the router etc multiple times. I tried to reach customer service last night for hours. Lots of obstructionist automated systems. I finally got to the point in a chat where they were going to schedule sending someone to come out to check and the chat “mysteriously” reset and I lost all progress.
I have a gas generator, but of course that's too loud at night. I read about the inverter, but hesitant to pull the trigger until now. Thanks for the confirmation and confident that it work.

Last edited:
Reactions: JVU
Amazon came through for me with overnight delivery. Got an inverter for my Milwaukee and Dewalt batteries and I've got about 10 of those fully charged so hopefully will work for the day while I recharge my camping battery at my office. We'll see how this all plays out but I'm hopeful.

i use these too

Attachments

• C154431D-66C8-4812-8EF8-D18929A9D3AB.jpeg
    C154431D-66C8-4812-8EF8-D18929A9D3AB.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 79
Looks like I'm going to be running my generator for about 3.5 days if PG&E's ETA is correct. House temp is plummeting but I dont know how to back feed my furnace.

@NickRoseSN1985
Thanks for those awesome pics
Eucalyptus trees?
I don’t understand why they haven’t been eradicated!
They are an invasive, nonnative, soil chemistry altering plant!
They gotta go
But I do understand....mo money, mo money....

Oh how I love everything you just posted. I routinely tell me GF that if I hit the lottery, I'm funding non native removal... scotch brush, acai and eucalyptus will be where I start.

The rain, cold & wind has done a number on the acai in Santa Cruz County. Some many lost limbs, or fell right over,

Power came back on around 7PM yesterday. Thanks to @JVU for telling me to heat my water on my grill to keep my tank temp up. I was able to run my pump almost non stop using power tool batteries and inverters and kept both heater and pump running through the night using a camping battery.

So far everything looks to be alive. My yuma are looking pretty sad, they were like flipped inside out at one point but seem to be bouncing back. Fingers crossed everything recovers.

I'm going to buy an inverter generator to keep on hand going forward. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Power came back on around 7PM yesterday. Thanks to @JVU for telling me to heat my water on my grill to keep my tank temp up. I was able to run my pump almost non stop using power tool batteries and inverters and kept both heater and pump running through the night using a camping battery.

So far everything looks to be alive. My yuma are looking pretty sad, they were like flipped inside out at one point but seem to be bouncing back. Fingers crossed everything recovers.

I'm going to buy an inverter generator to keep on hand going forward. If anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.
@WillU
positive vibrations to you and the tank

I have a Firman portable generator that can use propane (look for dual fuel or tri fuel) that works well. There‘s a similar one on Costco right now on sale $200 off, a great deal. In my opinion propane is much easier and cleaner to use than gasoline, without the same requirements for periodic maintenance. And as you pointed out you want an inverter generator so it plays well with electronics.

looks pretty sweet. I almost wana put in a 50 amp transfer switch just to feed the sub panel that powers my tank. same one that feeds kitchen lol that’s the reason save the fridge. Maybe if I find one at work

Back