Neptune Aquatics

Cuttle Lovers: Sepia at LiveAquaria

12 months. :D

Actually, I think I change my mind a little about the price. I wrote this on another forum:

If they ordered 10 cuttles at imported price of 20 each, then they also paid 100 bucks at least for freight, which puts their cost at 30 each. Then they lose 5 because, well, they are shipping adult cuttles. That puts the import price at 60 each. Double that and you get 120 retail. So the price is really not so bad. This also assumes that they ordered them directly, but if they had to go through a middle man the price would be much more.

The marine ornamental industry is a volume business which is why you can still pay 3 dollars retail for a damsel or 12 dollars for a cleaner shrimp - btw, those prices haven't changed much in 20 years which is crazy. Cephs however, are not really a volume animal (and I hope they never are) so you have to pay something more like what they actually cost rather than a quasi artificially reduced price.

This is James from Ocean Treasures and i was wondering if anyone was intrested in Sepia kobiensis. I can order these directly from the collector if anyone isinterested call me there are only a few available.

[quote author=Thales link=topic=2066.msg20318#msg20318 date=1179608177]

Actually, I think I change my mind a little about the price. I wrote this on another forum:

If they ordered 10 cuttles at imported price of 20 each, then they also paid 100 bucks at least for freight, which puts their cost at 30 each. Then they lose 5 because, well, they are shipping adult cuttles. That puts the import price at 60 each. Double that and you get 120 retail. So the price is really not so bad. This also assumes that they ordered them directly, but if they had to go through a middle man the price would be much more.

The marine ornamental industry is a volume business which is why you can still pay 3 dollars retail for a damsel or 12 dollars for a cleaner shrimp - btw, those prices haven't changed much in 20 years which is crazy. Cephs however, are not really a volume animal (and I hope they never are) so you have to pay something more like what they actually cost rather than a quasi artificially reduced price.
[/quote]

I think you being very conservative with your shipping costs Rich, oh, and cleaner shrimp prices on an export/import price have jumped $2.50 in the last few years :) Heck, peppermint shrimp prices have more then doubled since I was in wholesale :(

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=2066.msg20344#msg20344 date=1179764533]
[quote author=Thales link=topic=2066.msg20318#msg20318 date=1179608177]

[/quote]

I think you being very conservative with your shipping costs Rich, oh, and cleaner shrimp prices on an export/import price have jumped $2.50 in the last few years :) Heck, peppermint shrimp prices have more then doubled since I was in wholesale :(
[/quote]

But the retail prices have stayed the same or dropped in many cases. Volume volume volume!

Back