Reef nutrition

Dealing with frags from a tank with nudis

I had no idea that peppermint shrimp would assist with nudis! That's great to know. Does anyone know how to train a mantis shrimp to not kill other inverts so it can help with pest cleanup?!

I was also reading that KCl dips don't do much against nudis. Great for flatworms, but that it's too gentle for tougher inverts. I just bought a 40lb bag of btw, so if any members want me to bring them some at our next event, let me know.
I think they murder Berghia too right @JVU ?

They can and will still from corals mouths if hungry, sometimes harming the coral depending on how deep the food has been pulled.
My skunk cleaner is an aggressive feeder like this. Acts like it hasn't had a meal in weeks. Rips food out of my blastos and micros all the time. Irritating but it does help keep things clean.

LOL yeah, its a fine balance. I enjoy the antics and movement of shrimp, so for me, its worth the possible issue :)

The ultimate are sexy shrimp... great movement, no special feed and they don't harm anything IME

I try and keep at least one peppermint or cleaner shrimp in my tanks for general pest issues. I did a bunch of reading at one point on them, and my recollection is cleaner and peppermint were the most effective ones for ich in particular. Being able to even deal with the stages before they get to the fish. Also eating all the nudis/flatworms is the other reason.

I'll never find that research again though.

That being said, I only have a pair of fire shrimp in my display and I'm pretty confident they're the reason I can't feed mysis to it anymore without finding lps with expelled heads. The shrimp beating the crap out of them to get the remnants as soon as I'm not around or the lights go out.

Back