Neptune Aquatics

Derek's 130gal (525xl)

Can you share your ICP? Curious to see if your measured salinity method lines up with that as well as Nitrate/Phosphate (if that's even a reliable way to double check testing, others please chime in). Plus I'm interested to see how you're testing chloramines since I need to find a reliable way other than having @Srt4eric sniff the water lol.
Absolutely, here's the ICP: https://www.triton-lab.de/en/showroom/icp-oes/173578

Here's the chlorine test I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIJ8FMU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure it's not perfect but it's reading zero both after the carbon block and on the exit of the RODI. It definitely shows chloramines in the tap water when I test that!

I regularly double check the Alkatronic/Mastertronic results with my Hanna checkers and it's all good. My basic parameters (Alk/Ca/Mg/No3/Po4) have been so stable and normal for so long I am almost positive that's not the issue. Tank gets around 250 PAR at the top and 180 at the bottom.

Well they gave us sodium ion so we have almost half of the calculation! Unfortunately no chloride to compare to. But nice to see the phosphate values line up with what you're testing.

Things were running better when you were at the higher salinity before right? Might be good to confirm your current testing methods with their appropriate calibration standards and maybe shift back towards that higher direction that you had success with.

Well they gave us sodium ion so we have almost half of the calculation! Unfortunately no chloride to compare to. But nice to see the phosphate values line up with what you're testing.

Things were running better when you were at the higher salinity before right? Might be good to confirm your current testing methods with their appropriate calibration standards and maybe shift back towards that higher direction that you had success with.

I think my salinity has stayed pretty much the same - why do you think it used to be higher?

I have considered getting a manual salinity tester - I am currently using a Milwaukee digital but perhaps it is wrong? Is there a refractometer you would recommend?

Haven't made any updates in a while - busy with the holidays and the tank has been mostly on cruise control until recently. I have been planning the new peninsula build.

I am experiencing what feels like a tank crash in slow motion. Exchanged some texts with fellow reefers but everyone seems stumped. My SPS are all slowly receding/dying. Some LPS that have been bulletproof are also dying or are very grumpy. The tank is about 7 months old now, though originally I had quite a bit of SPS that was either growing great (stylo), or at least encrusting and surviving (some acros, milles). I lost a few SPS but chalked it up to tank maturity - but this is different, this is the first time some pretty standard LPS are also now dying off, and the SPS that *were* thriving for many months are suddenly on their way out as well.

The stats:
  • Alk has been steady for months at 8.1-8.3 with an Alkatronic and automated Triton core7 dosing.
  • Corraline is growing incredibly well, all over the place.
  • Pod population is healthy - mandarin is fat and wrasses stay busy. See pods on glass and in sump regularly.
  • No3 and PO4 are stable at 7-8 and .12-.14, respectively.
  • Recent ICP tests are pretty normal other than very high iron (I dosed this too agressively to try and save my Chaeto, I think).
  • No issues with algae, cyano, or dinos. Sand is beautiful and white, tank looks great. Fish are all doing super well, Tang Gang keeps things clean.
  • Inverts are good (multiple shrimp, urchin, 2x anemone)
Lighting is handled by 2x ATI Straton, flow is 2x Tunze 6095 and an MP40. Not dosing anything other than the Triton core7. Not running GFO. Running GAC in a small reactor. Filtration is a Clarisea 5000 and Deltec 1000i. I've performed a 30-35% water change every 2 weeks now for the last 6 weeks. No help. Have not been running any UV.

Really haven't made any changes or messed with the tank in a while. RODI water is testing at 0 TDS and 0 Chloramines.

My theories, all pretty flimsy at this point:
  • Something in my RODI. I thought it was Chloramines but those seem to test zero. Water changes haven't helped anything, but I can't say they are hurting. I have mostly ruled this out, at this point.
  • The elevated Iron. RHF seems to think Iron isn't that harmful but perhaps mine is simply way too high? Triton ICP had it at 37ug/l. This was before all the water changes, it is probably much lower now - coral still declining.
  • Overskimming? The deltec 1000i is overrated for my tank, maybe it's pulling too much good stuff out? Coupled with the very efficient Clarisea, maybe there's just not enough of something in the water.
  • Allelopathy? I have quite a few Zoas, a toadstool...they are doing well. I am running GAC. ???

I'm stumped! By all accounts, the tank was doing great and all indicators (corraline, pods, fish) are also great. But the corals are all very much on the decline, albeit a very slow one.

Any pests to be seen? Have you dipped any of the receeding or dying coral to see if anything off falls off? Any fishies have potential to be a coral nipper?

If you rule out water parameters and pests, you could try aquabiomics to potentially find a known coral bacterial pathogen. That’s not a slam dunk though.

Ah, thought I saw in an earlier post you were at a measured 1.028 then lowered it. Can always confirm your numbers at a LFS to be sure. The Milwaukee is nice, but it definitely needs to be calibrated. The manual says calibrate with DI before every sample, but you could also make your own solution as described on the pdf or the video on their site: http://www.us.milwaukeeinstruments....174-products-g-digital-refractometers-g-ma887

Ah, thought I saw in an earlier post you were at a measured 1.028 then lowered it. Can always confirm your numbers at a LFS to be sure. The Milwaukee is nice, but it definitely needs to be calibrated. The manual says calibrate with DI before every sample, but you could also make your own solution as described on the pdf or the video on their site: http://www.us.milwaukeeinstruments....174-products-g-digital-refractometers-g-ma887
No, you are totally right - back in October. Tank was doing great after the correction November, though. But perhaps it was the change in salinity and this is simply a delayed response? I suppose that is possible.

I do calibrate the Milwaukee every use, it's pretty quick and easy.

Any pests to be seen? Have you dipped any of the receeding or dying coral to see if anything off falls off? Any fishies have potential to be a coral nipper?

If you rule out water parameters and pests, you could try aquabiomics to potentially find a known coral bacterial pathogen. That’s not a slam dunk though.

Not really any pests - I've looked. The way the corals are dying (VERY slow recession from the base, usually some at the tips as well) doesn't jive with most of the pest indicators I've seen. It's also now affecting most corals in the tank - and pests seem to sort of target certain types? I'm no expert, but that's according to my google research.

I am thinking I will try an aquabiomics test.

No, you are totally right - back in October. Tank was doing great after the correction November, though. But perhaps it was the change in salinity and this is simply a delayed response? I suppose that is possible.

I do calibrate the Milwaukee every use, it's pretty quick and easy.

Not really any pests - I've looked. The way the corals are dying (VERY slow recession from the base, usually some at the tips as well) doesn't jive with most of the pest indicators I've seen. It's also now affecting most corals in the tank - and pests seem to sort of target certain types? I'm no expert, but that's according to my google research.

I am thinking I will try an aquabiomics test.

It can’t hurt to dip and check. From the sounds of it, it doesn’t seem to be a pest or pests. Ruling it out, however, is probably a good idea.

You have clear pictures of the SPS & LPS. Might help some of us to see what is going on and provide more suggestions?

Here's a Red Robin with some tissue death at the base on the left side:
IMG_7473.jpg

Red Planet that is pretty far gone, with a struggling Therman's Rainbow behind it:

IMG_7474.jpg

Not sure what this is but it grew like crazy the first few months, not the tips are turning white with some brown algae growth:
IMG_7475.jpg

WWC Slimeball (i think) that used to be bright green, growing well, now is losing color and dying:
IMG_7476.jpg

A couple test frags I picked up recently - the one on the left is losing tissue at the base, the one on the right is dying from the tips:

IMG_7484.jpg

A Space Invader chalice that was doing great for many months, dying off:
IMG_7477.jpg

Here's some kind of favia that was growing like crazy, and is now starting to recede with some skeleton peeking through:

IMG_7478.jpg

Gonis and Zoas still pretty happy, though:
IMG_7480.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

One thing I have had some recent success with is fish! All the fish are growing, happy, healthy. Here's a shot of the tangs and wrasses going after some nori. This is one of the first captive bred Purple Tangs - really got a beatdown from the YT at first but they are buddies now. The PBT has always been good boi:

Back